SailNet Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are just under six weeks away from our two week cruising vacation (not that I'm counting or anything) and Block Island and Narragansett Bay are on the itinerary.

We were thinking of hitting up the Newport boat show while we're in the area, but I know it gets very crowded. Our tentative plan was to sail from Block to Dutch Harbor on Wednesday, September 10th and get a mooring at Dutch Harbor Boat Yard. I was thinking that since it's on the opposite side of the island from Jamestown it might be less busy. The boat show starts on Thursday the 11th.

I could make a reservation, but cancellations within 7 days forfeit the entire payment. Given that it's $50/night and hurricane season, I'd rather be able to keep things flexible.

Any thoughts from anyone in the area?

Thanks.

·
Registered
23,833 Posts
Connanicut Marina, in Jamestown directly across the island from Dutch Harbor, runs a ferry across east passage to Newport. It's exactly a one mile walk on the one road that leaves the Dutch Harbor marina over to Connanicut. Dutch Harbor, btw, has one of the largest anchorages in the area, if that kind of flexibility is appealing. Good holding in hard mud.

If I were going to reserve a mooring, I would probably do so at Connanicut itself and save the walk.

If fully agree, I would avoid Newport itself during the show, unless you really like hustle and bustle.

Reactions: Sal Paradise

·
Registered
23,833 Posts
Happy to help with any other info you might need. Sept is my fav time of year. Crowds thin, but enough activity to not feel like you missed the party. Weather is often cool and dry with good wind. Fingers crossed.

Reactions: cthoops

·
Registered
42 Posts
There seems to be a lot of empty moorings at Connanicut this year. I agree go to Connanicut and take the ferry.Look on their web page for schedule.

·
Registered
23,833 Posts
There seems to be a lot of empty moorings at Connanicut this year. I agree go to Connanicut and take the ferry.Look on their web page for schedule.
I wonder if those are just seasonal moorings, whose owners are out sailing. I called for an overnight mooring a few weeks ago and they were sold out. Admittedly, I called on a Saturday to try to get a mooring that evening. I suppose it also possible they have a more limited number that are the size we require.

·
Over Hill Sailing Club
3,688 Posts
I've been around Newport during show week. It gets very crowded. Anchoring in the harbor is possible if you get there a few days ahead of time. The town rents moorings which is a better option since anchoring can get crazy when it's crowded. My choice has been to go up to Potter's Cove and avoid the entire melee. Potter's is a great place to anchor but pretty far from Newport where the action is but it could be an escape alternative after seeing what's to see at the show.

·
Registered
23,833 Posts
I've been around Newport during show week. It gets very crowded. Anchoring in the harbor is possible if you get there a few days ahead of time. The town rents moorings which is a better option since anchoring can get crazy when it's crowded. My choice has been to go up to Potter's Cove and avoid the entire melee. Potter's is a great place to anchor but pretty far from Newport where the action is but it could be an escape alternative after seeing what's to see at the show.
All good points by murph. I will add that, regardless of whether you time an arrival in the Newport harbor anchorage, others will crowd right in next to you. It's the last anchorage I will ever use. The Federal Anchorage, north of Goat Island, is a little less hectic. However, that is because the holding is awful. Mostly rocks. Works for running into the show and back only, imo. The launch will pick you up there, only if you anchor east of the tip of goat island. Their license doesn't permit them on the Bay and that deliniates.

Final clarification. I'm sure murph is referring to the Potters Cove on the northeast shore of Prudence Island. It a beautiful and enormous anchorage. Highly recommended. Impossible to get crowded, even with a hundred boats. Not to be confused with Potter Cove (no "s"), which is just north of the Newport bridge on the eastern shore of Connanicut Island. Good holding, good lunch spot (not particularly pretty, unless you dig the bridge, which is pretty at night) and seriously exposed to fetch if the wind ever thinks about coming from the east.

By the way, if you go up to Potters, Bristol is directly across and totally worth a visit. Several good joints, feel free to inquire here, ifyou're interested.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone. At this point I think we're going to skip the show. We're having a difficult time fitting it in without feeling like we're on a schedule. We've been to the one in Newport before (and frankly I liked the "feel" of the Annapolis show better), so it's o.k. if we miss it.

I was going to post our travel plans here, but I think I'll make that a separate thread.

Thanks again.

·
Over Hill Sailing Club
3,688 Posts
Definitely Potter's north of Prudence. One other aspect that is very neat about Newport Harbor is the international nature of the place. Every time I've been anchored or on a mooring there it has been a show of about every flag under the sun. There are usually boats from all over the planet, not to mention the old Americas Cup 12 meters. One negative I noticed three or four years ago was the presence of HUMUNGOUS cruise ships, ferrying hundreds of people in from the Bay. The place is crowded enough without this new influx. The sailing between Block and Newport is great.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts