SailNet Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
sunfish?junior?
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where should I spend the next $500 ? or my time. I know B.O.A.T. bring out another thousand. I will but lets just look at half of it. I will get around to spending more. I am sure $500 is just a lunch and a cocktail for some vessels and a year is like one of my days .
I need priority a do not spend time and money on this do that 1st.
Time is an Issue I spent 2620 hours at work this does not include driving to and from then add all the other things that need to be done Church, family, cut my grass and so on.
What do I want to do ? Live on a boat. I will stop at the place in that pursuit that is beyond my comfort level or when it is no longer fun.
I have been doing the normal :laugher things one might do in pursuit of this,
Paying off all dept. Saving more to build a kitty. Reading all kinds of books and some magazines. Joined a club. Posted and read internet , bought boats, Raced, and crewed local.
Have started to interest my wife;) she took a club introduction course I have the ASA 101
1. My FJ is an old beat up Year 1967 and could use new sails $500 The FJ can sail, just not able to point enough to be race quality. A 1967 may never be It gets me on two small lakes close by set up fast. I can learn and my wife can learn with the FJ. I can keep it as is buy $500 sails or sell it.
Just bought a Catalina-22 have had it out 2 times once with my wife It is all day to get it to the ( big Lake ) . Spend more $ on it Yeah:) ! This happens but in small amounts regardless. Crewed last year local racing on a C-22.
2. Take more ASA classes
3. Take a charter with club members. I am not ready to bare boat alone. I like this idea #3 the least.:rolleyes:
4. Race husband and wife.... saw some less than blissful times had by others in this endeavor . I think we could try because I do not get that glassy eyed competitive look.
5. slow down ,," Rome was not built in a day." Just sail the boats when ever we get the chance Give a year to adjust and enjoy.
If you have the # I am not thinking of
Happy New Year and Kind Regards , Lou

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I think I would prioritize the C22 and get it ready for some long weekend and week-long cruises on the "big lake". That way you can sample some of what live aboard and long term cruising entails. Even on a lake you can set out a fairly long sail, anchor, fix supper, live, etc. On a long weekend you can get there after work (?) sleep aboard, sail for two days and nights and go home the third day. Then when you can take vacation time plan out a good 5 - 6 day cruise and if possible a full moon overnight sail.
Racing? You can always do that even if it's time trialling (another bicycle term) to the next anchorage or chasing down another sailboat. You might also resew the FJ sails and when summer days are long take it out for the races after work. Makes for a long day, but a good tiredness.
Make it fun and build your experience base.
John

·
Registered
174 Posts
My choices would be between 1 or 5... not a lot in the other 3 ...leaning toward 1 without spending the 500 for a sail ...if you feel the need to race use someone else's boat...the 500 will then cover the things that you will need as you go along...

·
Registered
125 Posts
is FJ a flying juinior? if so (or if not) I dont think the year of the boat should have much difference on whether or not it points well. I wouldn't spend the money on a new sail if your not getting out on it and sailing. if you have a local fleet and enjoy racing it then by all means but if not. point it somewhere else.

that cat 22 is a great extended weekend boat do like ccriders said and plan some long weekends on it.

it seems like you have the bug good maybe spend that 500 making sure your wife has a good time. buy her some good thermals/foulies

if you want to try husband wife racing on the FJ be ready to call it quits if it starts to get too stressfull you dont want to chase her away from sailing too early. on the other hand maybe that kind of chalange is exactly what she needs to stay focused.

most of all have fun.

·
599 Posts
It all depends on your preferences - and those of your wife. I race, but to improve my sailing skills. i think that having 2 boats has to be a pain timewise and financially, so as others have said, perhaps focus on one.

So if it were me, I'd sell the FJ and focus on the Cat 22.

Or perhaps option 6 - sell the FJ AND the Cat, and buy a bigger boat ;-)

·
Asleep at the wheel
3,016 Posts
I agree with most of the others. I'd sell the FJ and put that money and the $500 into the C22. I REALLY like Jones' idea of the law service. Another idea is to use that money to buy a dry slip at a marina (I have the impression she's on a trailer; if I'm wrong, for get this idea!).

From what I remember of you and your family, I think the 22 is going to be a MUCH better choice.

·
sunfish?junior?
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
BLJONES you are right ;)Time is my biggest problem. Time and money are the same. The only difference is you can not store or save time. Even electricity can be stored in a battery. Time is like the wind passing us.
I think I will have the house paid in 5 more years. In this time I need to get sailing skills
I have read some of Lin and Larry, and some of Captain fatty. One says sell all the dirt That's fatty. Lin and Larry seem to say leave an escape route then if you like sailing after the sun you can sell all the dirt. Both advocate owe nothing pay all bills off I am closing on this and learning to sail.
The one thing I do see is all of these sailors have an income that keeps feeding the kitty. I will have some but I need to create a way to add even if it is cruise for x amount of time and then work.
I just know 5 years is a short amount of time to build sailing skill when I am working.
Regards, Lou

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.