SailNet Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Luv my tiller. Wouldn't swap. it for a wheel, no matter what:D Tiller headstock exits stern seating, near center. When dropped, it still hangs a few inches above deck, the bottom laying on the edge of the seat. While this is fine if I want to steer with my feet; it's not conducive. to letting it all hang out while tending t.o other duties aboard.
I'm wondering what if I use some sort of blocking beneath to maintain level desired? Has anyone else used some sort of adjustable/removable? block. to hold her where ya want?

Was also considering a "toothed" sort of quadrant on the laz/seat, with opposing teeth, essentially holding the tiller at some point when dropped to engaged. Same question.....anyone ever see/hear of this sorta arrangement?
This would also hold the tiller arm at a more convenient height at 'rest".
Another way to approach this would be a geared block/pin arrangement behind the headstock, to engage when flipped UP out of the way; but still locked in position. Perhaps in conjunction with a spring. assembly, ala` kick-up rudder, to hold it in place?

Any/all input welcome
TIA,
Paul

·
Registered
Catalina 315
1,274 Posts
I think it's important to get the tiller up higher. Less risk of someone landing on it and breaking it off, not to mention that it should be up higher for the sake of convenience. I had a 26 footer with a low tiller, and a little examination of the hardware indicated where it needed to be shimmed. In fact, I recall that all I did was sort of jam it up with a little bit of scrap line wrapped around the mechanism. This also had the effect of giving it a little flexibility if someone was to fall on the tiller.

The ratcheting setup, or quadrant, or whatever sounds like needless complexity to achieve a dubious result. And yes, it has been done, but isn't done much anymore. One problem I can see with such an arrangement is that it's adjustment wouldn't be infinite.

My previous boat had a tiller, and I installed a Wavefront tiller clutch on it.
WaveFront Marine - The TillerClutch
I've had a few boats with tillers and have tried various solutions that people still tout here on Sailnet, such as the Davis tiller clutch.

Based on my experience, the Wavefront outperforms everything else. The Davis requires you to engage it by tightening a knob. That's okay, but it isn't nearly as easy or instantaneous as the Wavefront. With the Wavefront, you just flick the little lever with the pinky of your tiller hand.

The Wavefront tiller clutch costs more than the Davis, but if you like an efficient cockpit, it's absolutely worth it.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the head's up. Not particularly fond of excess lines tangling up the 'pit. Perhaps some sort of lever, like the Wave I unit,attached to a rod or cable activator for a shaft/headstock brake?
I'll sketch sumpin' up :D

·
19,484 Posts
If the tiller head 'folds' over the rudder stock, then it should be possible to add/modify the tiller head with a threaded screw, or even just the right height block, to allow the tiller drop to be controlled at that point.

Something like this:

Reactions: christian.hess

·
Master Mariner
9,410 Posts
Wouldn't it be simple to drill several holes in the head of the rudder through which you could put a pin to keep the tiller at the height you want? It could be held almost straight up to be out of the way when not in use, too.

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
If the tiller head 'folds' over the rudder stock, then it should be possible to add/modify the tiller head with a threaded screw, or even just the right height block, to allow the tiller drop to be controlled at that point.

Something like this:

bingo:)

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
I need to do this to my m25...the tiller sags down...needs to be up at least 3-4 inches at the tip...I will be doing something similar to what faster nicely drew out

·
Old enough to know better
4,354 Posts
I know you say you are not fond of extra lines, but LeaLea uses a line to hold the tiller up. I can't find any photos on there web site that shows it in action. but if you watch any of the videos it is evident. I believe he said in one of the videos it was a temporary thing that just worked well, so he left it. He can adjust the height to what suits him, or the tiller pilot. I am sure you are failure with there YouTube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/user/vega1860/featured

Seems a simple solution till you figure out what you really want to do. and could be used in addition to other solutions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.