SailNet Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay went to the boat today for some battery charging and to check on it. decide the 15 to 20 knots was too nice to not sail. temps in the low 60's, nice winds. so i rigged a down hall so i could use my 100 % hank on jib single handed, and i pulled up the anchor. i sailed for about an hour just under jib with the gusts healing me over to about 20 degrees. i decided to hoist the main under a reef, which i did, but i dont have reef lines back to the cockpit i have to go to the mast. after a few times of dipping the rail, which on my boat is too far over for decent steering ( 83 hunter 27' ). i decided to pull down the main, so i steer into the wind, pop the line clutch, the sail starts coming down and the tack on the sail ( reef point ) pops out the sail starts to floog. well my brittle sail slides which one is broken already all decide to give up the ghost. i knew i would be changint them in the spring. so now my sail is blowing not attached to the mast so i run up to the mast and start pulling the sail down by hand, stow it and back to jib only.

nice day to sail, nice drill practice on getting a loose sail down single handed.

it was a great day in feb on the east coast, take that all you new englanders

·
Registered
34 Posts
If others misery adds to your pleasure, allow me to give you a glimpse of the sailing conditions in Norway atm.

·
1975 Newport 28
1986 Hunter 31
592 Posts
I was at my boat (Newport 28) at White Rocks Marina in Baltimore on Saturday, and I had the same feeling. However, getting in and out of my slip is iffy without engine -- two 90 deg turns, one to port, one to starboard -- and I haven't tested my single-handing rig yet, so I contented myself with checking lines and taking pictures of the things I want to work on this spring.

I opened up the forward hatch to let the warm air blow through, and just enjoyed being on the boat. The good times are only about a month away.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
why yes cerveza it does thanks edit but so you know 2 days ago the day time high temp was around 35 and 25 at night, and 3 weeks ago it was 14 at night

denby we are just a few days south of ya by sail

and jas i am down by the harbor i am not far from ya, and my boat came from white rocks, spent a few months on stands behind the restaurant there

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
A zippy day for us as well down in Texas. Gusts up to 37 today. I have to say, it was a little....nutty. But it was good practice and nothing broke...at least not on our boat. Seatow was earning their keep however on some other dude's beat up ride. We, of course, just heckled him mercilessly as he went by.

Good times.

·
Banned
12,366 Posts
jascrumpf,

We are right acroos the water at the Maryland Yacht Club from you. It was beautiful today.

dave

1 - 7 of 7 Posts