SailNet Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a nice vacuum for my Catalina 28. Not a lot of storage area on the boat, and it has carpet on the cabin sole.

I searched online and found the Eureka Easy Clean Handheld vacuum. It plugs into AC (my personal preference over DC) and has a 23 foot cord that wraps around the vac for storage.

It has a beater bar brush that can be turned on or off. Just tried it on my carpet and it worked great.

It's bag-less and actually has enough capacity to be useful.

Quickly converts to hose with crevice tool...super easy.

The crevice tool stores solidly in the base of the vac and is easy to remove and use.

Well designed tool, that I got online for $32.95 at Wally World
Eureka Easy Clean® 71B Handheld Vacuum

·
Registered
712 Posts
I have the storage room and enjoy a 1 gallon Shop Vac. I too have a carpeted sole and give the boat a once a week vacuum.

·
no longer reading SailNet
2,309 Posts
I used to keep a 1 gallon shop vac onboard. The Eureka shown here has a carpet beater bar and does a much better job at cleaning boat cushions than the shop vac did. It also takes about 1/4 the space.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I've been looking at this unit, as well as its slightly redesigned brother, which seems to handle bare floor(boards) better, albeit at a higher price:

Eureka RapidClean® Step 41A Handheld Vacuum

My only concern about either of these is that they use a toothed belt that isn't apparently designed to be user-replaceable. It seems you can at least buy the belt for the 71B but they don't even list one for the 41A, though I bet it's the same part. Anyone broken a belt in either one of these and had to replace it?

·
s/v Tiger Lily
624 Posts
I have a small Black and Decker 12v DC for when I'm on the mooring, and a small ORECK for when I have AC. Are you guys using an inverter to power your AC vac, or just using it at the dock? Is there a 12v 1gal ShopVac?

·
Registered
23,425 Posts
One of these lives under a sette in the salon. Wet/dry, use with 18v battery or plug into 100v. Incredibly handy, especially for washing down and cleaning out the bilge.

DEWALT DCV581H 18/20-Volt MAX Cordless/Corded Wet-Dry Vacuum - Vacuum And Dust Collector Accessories - [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/[email protected]@[email protected]@41Ne7lldrjL

This is an updated model. I burned the old one out, by not having the filter installed. It does fine with wet or dry, but not dry after wet, or the filter clogs. Holds 2 gallons of water, which is just enough to be useful, but not very big so it will easily fit under a seat.

·
islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
I have a small Black and Decker 12v DC for when I'm on the mooring, and a small ORECK for when I have AC. Are you guys using an inverter to power your AC vac, or just using it at the dock? Is there a 12v 1gal ShopVac?
Here's a 12v shop vac Amazon.com: RoadPro RPSC-807 10" 12V Super Wet/Dry Vacuum with 1 Gallon Canister: [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/[email protected]@[email protected]@41EccH7i4rL and if you want anything 12v look it up under the road pro name they carry all stuff for us truckers.

·
Old enough to know better
4,344 Posts
One of these lives under a sette in the salon. Wet/dry, use with 18v battery or plug into 100v. Incredibly handy, especially for washing down and cleaning out the bilge.

DEWALT DCV581H 18/20-Volt MAX Cordless/Corded Wet-Dry Vacuum - Vacuum And Dust Collector Accessories - [email]Amazon.com

This is an updated model. I burned the old one out, by not having the filter installed. It does fine with wet or dry, but not dry after wet, or the filter clogs. Holds 2 gallons of water, which is just enough to be useful, but not very big so it will easily fit under a seat.
That looks nice do you notice any difference in power between battery and ac? I need a new drill anyway as the old one is shot. Might swing me to Dewalt.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23,425 Posts
That looks nice do you notice any difference in power between battery and ac? I need a new drill anyway as the old one is shot. Might swing me to Dewalt.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
No difference between the two at all. The battery, however, is not included. If you use Dewalt products, the batteries are interchangeable.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts