SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Super Fuzzy
17,137 Posts
Reaction score
While I'm certain that night vision gear would be handy to have in reality it has limited application imo when it comes to general navigation. Unless you happen to be sailing through a known fish trap area one can hardly sit on deck scanning for those damned buoys all night.

Once sailing of the coast of Portugal I was astounded by the number of buoys. They were of course unlit and keeping an eye on them in daylight was hard enough, at night it would have been unwise to even think about sailing through that bunfight without some form of night vision aid.

Otoh, the NSW coast e.g. has in season lobster pots up and down its length but they are quite spread out. Realistically no small boat crew could hope to spot them all no matter how good your equipment.

Of course in some areas of the world and I'm thinking of SE Asia with its hoards of small, often unlit fishing boats you proceed at your own peril.

· Super Fuzzy
17,137 Posts
Reaction score
I'm with Capta .... we bought ourselves a pair of imaged stabilised Canons last year and while they are by no means top of the line (well under USD1000) the results are pretty damn good. Indeed while they are less than 17x50 (10x30 from memory) no one ever picks up the 17x50s anymore. Will upgrade to 18x50 some time soon.

It is said however that Imaged Stabilised are less effective in the dark than non IS. To be honest I've not noticed any great difference.

I'm still thinking that while nice to have night vision glasses are simply to much money to justify their existence.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.