SailNet Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still pretty new to keel boat sailing. This weekend was my ninth trip, and only my second as skipper. We chartered a Beneteau 393 for a trip through the Apostle Islands of Lake Superior.

Here's a picture of our knotmeter on our first morning:

We stayed at that speed long enough for me to get my camera and get a couple shots of the screen :) The GPS said our max speed was 8.7 knots, but it averages over a longer period of time. Either way, we were well above our hull speed of 7.9 knots.

Since I'm pretty new I wasn't trying to sail fast, I was just trying to keep it flat and in control. I had the sails on the supposed third reef (they were both furling, so I was going by marks on the sails) and I had them pretty flat with a bit of twist to spill some air off the top.

I planned our course so we could do the whole run on two broad reaches with a (chicken) jibe in between.

The forecast called for 15-25 knot winds with gusts in the upper 30s. Our masthead anemometer read pretty consistently in the upper 20s.

It was a great ride! The boat balanced well and tracked straight, and the helm felt good; it was hard to believe we were going that fast!

Later during the trip the weather calmed down and the sun even came out for a bit. We all had a great time.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like an awesome trip. I adore Lake Superior. Hopefully will start spending summers there soon!
What, not the winters? :)

Oh man, now you got me wondering why I just left Lake Superior. Congrats on the great sailing day.
Thanks, it was great. I bet you won't miss Superior so much once you get to places where you can sail more than five months a year, and where you can swim in the water without needing a defibrillator afterward!

Why go fast, when you can go slow
When I've been telling non-sailors about the trip I have been describing it as crazy fast, then I have to clarify that for me crazy fast is about 10 mph….

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
I got 9.9 knots on my Islander 32 one time, surfing down a wave, on a good beam reach, and I was yelling at my wife, "Quick, quick, come look at the GPS!" She wasn't fast enough so no witnesses. :D

·
Superior Sailor
1,032 Posts
That must have been Saturday, it was pretty breezy... I was pushing 6- 6.25 k which is fast for my boat (usually 4.5-5 k)

Give a shout out for the Lazy Lady next time your in the area, I'm out almost every weekend..

Then you can wave as you pass me by....

·
First String
868 Posts
That's the kind of day I look for. its so hard to find wind down here. You almost have to be out in front of a weather event to get a good sail in. Never sailed above 32°44.569N Down here a 10 knot wind is the exception.
I'm glad you had a good day on the water. I bet you had a big smile on your face most of the day.
Cheers.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That must have been Saturday, it was pretty breezy... I was pushing 6- 6.25 k which is fast for my boat (usually 4.5-5 k)

Give a shout out for the Lazy Lady next time your in the area, I'm out almost every weekend..

Then you can wave as you pass me by....
It was Friday morning that we were flying on that broad reach :)

Saturday we were close-hauled trying to make Sand Island, but we weren't pointing well I'm afraid, so we called it quits and had lunch and a hike at Raspberry Island instead.

I'm already planning next year's trips, I'lll be sure to give you a hail!

·
Registered
178 Posts
The fastest speed I saw on our GPS was 13.9 kts. I do not recommend nor do I want to see this speed again on our boat. I still haven't posted the sail on BFS but I can tell you this the wife was on the rail and I almost pooped my pants. Some speed over hull speed is way fun, twice hull speed is not.

Brad
Lancer 36

·
bell ringer
5,080 Posts
I saw 11 knots once on my chartplotter, but unlike others on this thread I didn't really believe that (I'm sure it was not for real because I wasn't crying yet)

·
Old soul
4,981 Posts
We hit over 10 knots coming down the St. Claire River a month ago. 6.5 in the water but the added current had us flying. I'm sure our boat has never gone this fast. Way too fast for this slow sailor ;-)

Why go fast, when you can go slow

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I saw 11 knots once on my chartplotter, but unlike others on this thread I didn't really believe that (I'm sure it was not for real because I wasn't crying yet)
My iPad GPS read a max speed of 10.5 knots once in my little Catalina 22, and I believe it! The boat certainly wasn't going that fast, but I think the iPad might have been when it went flying across the cabin during a particularly vicious tack :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts