SailNet Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all have disposable gloves on board. Given the current world it might be time to offer them to health care providers. The gloves aren't sterile but they could protect these wonderful folks. We can all afford to get our hands a little dirty on their behalf, no?'

Thanks

·
Registered
21,595 Posts
I wonder if they'd be permitted to use them, not knowing if they were contaminated already.

Anecdotally, I heard a recent hospital do their inventory of gowns, masks and gloves. Only enough gowns and masks for a single day. Gloves were in good supply. That's just one anecdote. It's a nice thought.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
I have never kept disposable gloves on board, with the exception of a couple of sterile pairs in the first aid kit. I guess I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty!

There does not appear to be a shortage of gloves around here. I have 3 boxes in my work van because the company keeps giving them to me but I don't use them.

I would certainly donate them if they were needed. Perhaps the need will arise eventually but right now our hospitals have the supplies they need.

Disposable N95 masks are probably going to be the first thing needed, but in the ICU where my wife works they are switching to reusable respirators instead of disposable masks.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21,595 Posts
Does a standard N95 mask do anything to protect the wearer from this contagion? A respirator might, but it's not my understanding that a mask makes any difference.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
I have never kept disposable gloves on board, with the exception of a couple of sterile pairs in the first aid kit. I guess I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty!
I'm guessing you don't do any fiberglass work. Particularly with epoxy.

Mark

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Does a standard N95 mask do anything to protect the wearer from this contagion? A respirator might, but it's not my understanding that a mask makes any difference.
Only in the sense of being in direct contact around a sick person, where a N95 will stop liquid particle transmission from coughs, etc. Wearing one in general otherwise isn't effective.

Mark

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
I'm guessing you don't do any fiberglass work. Particularly with epoxy.

Mark
I don't keep fiberglass supplies on my boat, those things live in my garage. I rarely need them, particularly with my new boat.

Regarding masks

According to health authorities N95 masks give people a false sense of security. Most people don't know how to fit them properly so they leak. My wife, a medical professional, has to get fit tested regularly.

The most common way this virus is transmitted is from touching infected surfaces, and then touching your face. It is not typically airborne unless somebody nearby that is infected coughs or sneezes.

A mask can prevent you from touching your face, so there's that, but on the other hand, people who arent used to wearing one tend to fiddle with them, and will likely touch their faces when they do.

Masks are best worn by people who are already sick because it will keep their infected fluids contained if they cough or sneeze. Even then, a regular surgical mask is fine. It doesnt have to be N95.

Gloves also give people a false sense of security. People still touch their faces. They often infect themselves when taking the gloves off, and the gloves themselves actually pick up and transfer the virus better than skin.

WHO recommends frequent hand washing and hand sanitizer as the best way to protect yourself. (And social distancing of course!)

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
11,752 Posts
Single use gloves are a staple on Haleakula . It has nothing to do with being afraid of getting my hands dirty, but why do it if it’s not necessary.😁

Other great uses are fiberglass work, when we pump out, when using any chemicals like oxalic acid in some of our cleaners. I often use gloves when preparing foods. It’s just easier .

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hi,
I work at a Research Institute and YES, we are in direct contact with local Hospitals to provide them our extra stocks of gloves (Nitrile and Vinyl) and other protective equipment (mask and glasses). YES, they NEED them. I'm not saying if you have an open box of nitrile gloves in your boat go ahead and run with it to the closest hospital. But if you have or know someone or some business (which doesn't going need them for the next weeks) with a significant number of PPE, please contact your local authorities/hospital. All the research labs/Universities are doing so. Thank you

·
Registered
246 Posts
I would imagine a sealed box would be appreciated. However, there was a request here in Seattle at the Children's Hospital that was running out of masks for donations of those, as well as folks that could sew ones in large numbers (like 100 or more). They only wanted to accept made-up ones from material given to the sewers with instructions to be obtained at a set time and place. I hope a lot of people stepped up.

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Slightly OT.
Since heat can destroy "germs" and maybe C19... could people heat their breathing masks in the oven, killing the bad stuff so they can re use them? But if so, what temp and for how long (without destroying the mask)? Single use masks could become scarce for sure. I read about making them from cloth which I presume can be laundered.

·
Registered
21,595 Posts
The closest I've seen is guidance that reusable cloth in restaurants is to be laundered at 140 degrees. I'm not sure why the soap itself is sufficient, as it is on our hands.

I suppose, if I thought I had an infected mask and I felt I had no choice but to disinfect it, I'd consider heating it in the oven. Not sure it wouldn't break down other components though, as the lowest temp an oven may be set to, could be too high. Tough call, in the blind.

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
The closest I've seen is guidance that reusable cloth in restaurants is to be laundered at 140 degrees. I'm not sure why the soap itself is sufficient, as it is on our hands.

I suppose, if I thought I had an infected mask and I felt I had no choice but to disinfect it, I'd consider heating it in the oven. Not sure it wouldn't break down other components though, as the lowest temp an oven may be set to, could be too high. Tough call, in the blind.
Laundering sounds good too... If one has a thermometer one the heat got to 140 turn the oven off???? Just a guess.

The masks were disposable but now in short supply so perhaps they need to be made reusable.

·
Registered
21,595 Posts
Still wonder if the laundry would would wash out anything that renders the mask less effective. Reusable, washable, may make good sense. Wonder why that's not the case already. Gowns are washed. May be a reason.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
I suppose, if I thought I had an infected mask and I felt I had no choice but to disinfect it, I'd consider heating it in the oven.
Soak it with isopropanol. It will kill the virus and evaporate in a few minutes. Acetone similarly, but keep it away from rubber straps. If you have just two or three masks, you could soak one in bleach and let dry while using another for a day.

Mark

·
11,752 Posts
Bacteria thrives from 70-140. To kill salononella 165 is what’s required . All reheats and poultry at 165 for 30 seconds

Virus are a different story . Some may still survive
Hand washing at 120 plus soap

Dry in oven if you want but I would not disinfect thete

·
Captain Obvious
2,324 Posts
Slightly OT.
Since heat can destroy "germs" and maybe C19... could people heat their breathing masks in the oven, killing the bad stuff so they can re use them? But if so, what temp and for how long (without destroying the mask)? Single use masks could become scarce for sure. I read about making them from cloth which I presume can be laundered.
You are a very smart thinking architect Sandero-

https://iheartintelligence.com/stanford-researchers-n95-masks-sterilized-reused-low-temperature-heating/

Stamford University researchers have found that N95 masks can be effectively sterilized at home in convection ovens.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I would imagine a sealed box would be appreciated. However, there was a request here in Seattle at the Children's Hospital that was running out of masks for donations of those, as well as folks that could sew ones in large numbers (like 100 or more). They only wanted to accept made-up ones from material given to the sewers with instructions to be obtained at a set time and place. I hope a lot of people stepped up.
Providence Hospital here (Seattle) had 1000 kits for 100 masks each that all got snapped up right away. I can't find any word on when/if they'll have more.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts