SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
"Sparkie"
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to get the nmea outputs from my raymarine graphic instrument. It has depth, speed, autopilot and wind connected to it. I can see all the values from all sensors displayed on the graphic repeater. According to the documentation it should output Depth (DBT), Heading, deviation, and variation (HDG), Magnetic Heading (HDM), Water Temperature (MTW), Wind Speed and Angle (MWV), and Water Speed and Heading (VHW) through the nmea output port. I have enabled the nmea output in the calibration mode and I can connect to the nmea output of the instrument to my serial port and see the sentences being transmitted. Following is a capture:

$IIMWV,114.5,R,2.9,N,A*37
$IIMTW,21.7,C*17
$IIDBT,10.5,f,3.2,M,1.8,F*2D
$IIMWV,109.5,R,2.7,N,A*35
$IIMTW,21.7,C*17
$IIDBT,10.4,f,3.2,M,1.7,F*23
$IIMWV,106.0,R,2.5,N,A*3D
$IIMTW,21.7,C*17
$IIDBT,10.4,f,3.2,M,1.7,F*23

How can I get it to transmit the other values (HDG, HDM, and VHW)? BTW, the version is 2.04 and the documentation is from the vendor at purchase. Thanks for any help!!
DD

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
It may depend on what you have connected to it...

It can't output information it doesn't have. For instance, the HDG, HDM may need to be supplied by a fluxgate compass or GPS. The Autopilot might supply HDG, HDM but will not do so unless it is on IIRC. VHW is probably also a compass related datum.

·
"Sparkie"
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The instrument displays all the data that is described in the sentences. I have the fluxgate compass on the autohelm and the magnetic heading is displayed on the graphic. Same with speed. It is a multi instrument that has depth and speed and I can see them both on the graphic, but only depth is being transmitted. I do not expect the graphic to transmit data it does not have, and I have confirmed that all data is present in display pages, and is active. hmmmmmmmmmmm!
DD

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
Just curious, what version of the software is on your Graphic display. The latest, according to the Raymarine site is 1.03.

BTW, I didn't see anywhere in the ST60 Graphic user's guide a list of the NMEA data that is output... I'm curious as to where you found the list you're using.

·
"Sparkie"
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just confirmed the version is 2.04. I will send a query to Ray and see if they can give me a response. Thanks for the followup!!
DD

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
Is the 2.04 the NMEA version or the firmware version on the hardware?

·
"Sparkie"
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Apparantly there was an "upgrade" to ST60 Plus. Mine must be the older one. I cannot find an output table for what is available for nmea. Any ideas out there?
DD

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
BTW, I didn't see anywhere in the ST60 Graphic user's guide a list of the NMEA data that is output... I'm curious as to where you found the list you're using.
I'm sort of with SD here - my first reaction was that the graphic basically just displays data supplied by other devices - has it got the ability to generate and put out data? I don't think it does.

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
Generally, to go from Seatalk, which is everything you've got, to NMEA, which is what you're trying to do, you need to use a Seatalk-to-NMEA bridge. AFAIK, none of the NMEA out ports on any of the other equipment will relay all the information... just bits and pieces of it.

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
The ST-60 series of instruments, and that includes the "graphic" repeater - do not output any SEATLK to NMEA conversions whatsoever, The internal bridge is Seatlk it does some NMEA outputs but as you discovered limted.

If you want to interface NMEA without a display unit such as the C-70, C-80, or G series then you need this:

"When used with Raymarine's RayTech navigation software, the E85001 enables direct SeaTalk communication between the PC and network, supporting functions such as active route and waypoint transfer. Alternatively, the E85001 can convert SeaTalk datastreams to NMEA 0183, and NMEA 0183 sentences to SeaTalk, enabling other NMEA 0183 compatible navigation devices to communicate with Raymarine SeaTalk compatible instruments, autopilots, radars, and navigation aids. The E86001 serial data cable (sold separately) is recommended for connecting PCs to this device."

It can be had for around $150 - setup is a cinch and works well with displays or when building a device only solution that requires interfacing between other standalone NMEA products that you need to talk to seatalk.

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
Jody's got a nice photo of the SeaTalk to NMEA bridge I mentioned. :)

·
"Sparkie"
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That is all well and good, but according to the documentation in Raymarines commisioning guide for the graphic instrument:

What NMEA data is supported?

Sea Talk to NMEA 0183

Data from Sea Talk is transmitted to the NMEA OUT connector every 2 seconds. The supported NMEA output data is detailed in the following table:
Depth: DBT
Heading, deviation and variation: HDG
Magnetic Heading: HDM
Water Temperature: MTW
Wind Speed and angle: MWV
Water Speed and heading: VHW

This is transcribed straight out of the Raymarine book document number 81228-1 dated January 2004.

Again, I can recieve the following data:

$IIDBT,10.5,f,3.2,M,1.8,F*2D
$IIMWV,131.5,R,2.3,N,A*3A
$IIMTW,21.7,C*17

This is a capture from the instrument to my laptop serial input using Hyper terminal. Why can I not get the other datas? I am posting this query to Ray in hopes they can settle this for me one way or another. I appreciate the input from you guys, but if the vendor says it will work, then doggone it, it should work. I will post whatever reply Ray gives me.
DD

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
Well, the data that you're receiving is the from the Tridata and wind instruments... don't see why you're not getting the VHW unless the VHW information is dependent on having the HDG and HDM data... which would normally be coming from a fluxgate compass.

Again, is your autopilot on when you're doing this, since that is the only fluxgate compass in your setup AFAIK. If the autopilot isn't transmitting the HDG/HDM data, you probably won't get the VHW data either.. since HDG is probably required to give you VHW.

The Tridata can only give you VBW IIRC without a fluxgate compass.

The graphic may not give you the HDG/HDM/VHW information without having a standalone fluxgate compass connected to it.

·
"Sparkie"
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
SD,
You may well be correct. The information is in the Graphic, as I can see magnetic headings displayed, but there may be some issue with the way the system is constructed or configured that keeps it from sending the data. It may be that I have to bite the bullet and spend money to make it work, but it is frustrating to see part of the data I need transmitted and not be able to see the rest. I also have my Garmin GPS inputting position data through the NMEA input connector. All that data displays correctly, but it will not repeat that data out through the output connector. I did not expect it to output that data as that was not a listed function in the output table. I did post to Ray and got a reply. They told me the graphic was not a full seatalk converter but I need to find out what is missing to make it function with the six sentences THEY say will work. Otherwise, I will have to buy the converter. Right now everything I need from the GPS I can bring in through the USB and read using a virtual com port, and the rest I was hoping to get through my COM 1 serial port. Stuff like this is actually fun to figure out, but can be frustrating. Thanks again for your help....
DD

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
Glad to help Doug. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am experiencing exactly the same problems with a very similar configuration (just 10 years later) - did you ever get to a solution to make it work?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,

I'm having exactly the same problem again! Both speed and mag heading are correctly displayed by the ST60+ Graphic, but not sent over NMEA. DBT, MTW and MWV are.
Raymarine support is responsive, but actually don't have a clue either, they are suggesting to try to selectively disconnect components and see what happens...

I NEED the Graphic NMEA output since it is the only possibility, given connection and baudrate constrains...and I don't want to buy a ST-NMEA converter just for this (also because, who might guarantee is will work?).

·
Registered
211 Posts
I had a similar situation- ST60 Graphic refused to output data which it was able to display. RM support could only suggest sending it in.

I seem to recall that the NMEA data output was different on different Graphics (we have 3), and at different times, but in the end I did go for an E85001.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Tks Norman, this is not encouraging. I would be disappointed if I have to buy additional hardware just because Graphic is not acting according to its documentation, and in any case I would not buy the Ray converter, but a NMEA mux instead (having also ST conversion capabilities)

Anyway, I did some more investigation, and the problem seems related to the heading data: not only VHW (speed+heading) is missing, but also HDG and HDM - even tough both speed and heading are nicely displayed by the graphic itself.
The heading info is taken from the fluxgate compass connected to the Smartpilot S2G course computer, which, in turn, in connected to the boat's Seatalk network (as the Graphic is). The funny thing is that the NMEA output of a C80 (the old classic one) plotter, on the same Seatalk, has everything correct (VHM, HDG, etc).
Looks like a SW problem in the Graphic, maybe related to Seatalk topology?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts