SailNet Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at a boat that is in need of some work, among the projects is a new electrical system. When I get to it I'd like to do it right. I have been following the threads with LED lights which are very expensive and I would like to have them eventually, but would like to hold off while spending my boat bucks on other things in the short term.

For the short term, I do not see sailing much at night, but want the option. Can you legally sail at night with some of the battery operated pulpit mounted options, and spreader mounted steaming and anchor lights? What are my options?

·
Registered
315 Posts
jephotog

The requirement is to have proper light, not how they are wired so I think the short answer to your question is "yes". For sailing, you would need the red / green bow light each covering 112.5 degrees abaft of dead ahead. A white light covering the aft 135 degrees is also required when sailing. If you are under power, the white light must show 360 deg. This is usualy done with the fixed stern light covering the aft 135 degrees and a white "steaming" light part way up the mast covering the forward 225 degrees.
A white anchor light 360 degrees should be shown while at anchor. My light burned out last year and I covered the requirement with some cheapo solar lights that I mounted to the pulpit and pushpit. I don't think they met the legal visibility requirement, but they were better than nothing. Also, I think (and hope) "The Law" has better things to do than poke around secluded anchorages at 3 in the morning nailing boats without proper lighting. My view is the intent is to make absolutely 100% sure that you can be seen or you are in a position where you will not reasonably be vulnerable to a nighttime collision with another vessel.

Good luck. I rewired 95% of my boat over the last few years and it was fun in a perverse sort of way.

·
Administrator
Farr 11.6 (Farr 38)
9,893 Posts
It depends on the length of the boat. There are different lighting levels and light arrangements required for different length boats. You need to look at Colregs Rule 22

COLREGS

Jeff

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
As Jeff says, download colregs online and follow the regs. You CAN use kerosene lamps for all they care, anything that has the proper brightness, color, and location is what matters.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
I have no problem useing standard 12 volt lights On MY J24 they draw 10 watts each

So 2 bow lights a stern and a bit of steaming light when there is no wind draws 40 watts and my battery can put that out for a REALLY long time before i need to carry it home to recharge it

If i get crazy it needs two charges over a 6 month season

·
Hunter 33.1
37 Posts
It is not he law you have to worry about but the lawyers. If your lights do not meet what is required and you are involved in an accident then you will have a much harder time defending yourself. How you choose to meet the requirements is your decision. The Clear Lake incident is one in which running lights are a central part of the case.

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Colregs

Thanks here are the colregs for my 27' boat.

a masthead light, 2 miles;
a sidelight, 1 miles;
a towing light, 2 miles;
a white red, green or yellow all-around light, 2 miles.

So the visibility only needs to be 1 mile for the side lights and 2 mile for the masthead.

I got no problem with the wiring job, having wired a 22' boat and 3200 sf house. I actually enjoy it, would enjoy it even more if someone else were paying for it:D.

Nolasafari I think I might have sailed with you in NOLA. Did you ever race?

Jordan

·
Hunter 33.1
37 Posts
Jordan I don't race, I am always working on the boat. I have had a boat at MYH since 93. Wiring the boat should be fairly quick. Look on ebay for lights I have found some deals there. Best of luck and enjoy yourself.

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jordan I don't race, I am always working on the boat. I have had a boat at MYH since 93. Wiring the boat should be fairly quick. Look on ebay for lights I have found some deals there. Best of luck and enjoy yourself.
Don't race huh well do you drink. Sailor/New Orleans never mind question answered, might of shared a beer once then. I saw your video of relaunching your boat. I know I sailed with someone who worked at Brother Martin once.

I used to have a 22 foot boat in the MYH (SYC side) also sailed and slept on it some and raced anything else I could get onboard. I spent a lot of time in the marina, from what i remember there was a lot of fun to be had. Miss a year round sailing community.

Jordan

·
Hunter 33.1
37 Posts
Don't race huh well do you drink. Sailor/New Orleans never mind question answered, might of shared a beer once then. I saw your video of relaunching your boat. I know I sailed with someone who worked at Brother Martin once.

I used to have a 22 foot boat in the MYH (SYC side) also sailed and slept on it some and raced anything else I could get onboard. I spent a lot of time in the marina, from what i remember there was a lot of fun to be had. Miss a year round sailing community.

Jordan
I was on the SYC side 53E for Katrina. The video is the parking lot in front of SYC which burned, it is almost now completely rebuilt twice the size. I will take a picture and post it. The video it basically where Tulane Sailing Club launched their boats. It is at the end of the boat houses where the road to SYC t-bones the loop around Westend Park.

Brother Martin, you have to be kidding Jesuit Blue Jay all the way. Here is some video I took of the Blue Jay Jazz Band who my son is a member of. Enjoy a little music between posts. Both are HD, Play full screen (click the star looking button bottom rt.) and loud.

<p><a href="http://vimeo.com/3932809">Jesuit Jazz Band Performing I Saw Her Standing There @ Bazaar 2009</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/bluejay">Jim Clark</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

<p><a href="http://vimeo.com/3714358">Jesuit Jazz Band at Hard Rock Cafe Performing Sept…HD</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/bluejay">Jim Clark</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

·
I don't discuss my member
2,557 Posts
I have no problem useing standard 12 volt lights On MY J24 they draw 10 watts each

So 2 bow lights a stern and a bit of steaming light when there is no wind draws 40 watts and my battery can put that out for a REALLY long time before i need to carry it home to recharge it

If i get crazy it needs two charges over a 6 month season
What size battery do you have tommays? I'm trying to find something that stores a little better than what I have now.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Its a pretty small one from Costco ,one size down from a 24 ? much better to carry around than a 24

It could be a BIG lawn tractor battery BUT it is has enough amp hours to keep my simple electric system powered for races that finish at night as i am not drawing over 3 amps with the running lights

I just check it with a volt meter and when it gets down carry it home

·
Registered
928 Posts
You might want to check the accuracy of the reading before depending on them.

I chucked two of their cheap digital multi meters away after hunting for an over charging problem that did not exist.:mad:

Harbor Freight has a battery condition monitor on sale for $4.99 which they say is a permanent mount. It is a cheap checker which you can just leave in place. I plan to pickup a couple the next time I pass their location.

- Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

·
I don't discuss my member
2,557 Posts
Its a pretty small one from Costco ,one size down from a 24 ? much better to carry around than a 24

It could be a BIG lawn tractor battery BUT it is has enough amp hours to keep my simple electric system powered for races that finish at night as i am not drawing over 3 amps with the running lights

I just check it with a volt meter and when it gets down carry it home
Thanks, I have a deep cycle 24 but it weighs a ton. I might pick up one those little ones for racing. Do you have any specs on it? CCA? Is it about 6"x6"? 10"x10"? Thanks.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
It is about 10 x 8 i was down a Costco the other day and they still sell it

I will have to look a the specs IF its stops raining :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts