SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw these words printed on a sign at a municipal dock while out boating yesterday. I don't ever recall seeing these words before. Nice docks with clean washrooms right down town in a nice town minutes walk to restaurants and pubs. I guess the main benefit to the town would be to encourage activity at local restaurants and businesses.

I know of lots of free docks, mostly on canals and at conservation areas, but don't know of any others that come out and say so with a sign.
20200801_142753.jpg

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
I've come across a few places. Port Washington, N.Y. offers a free mooring ball for one night. ( used to be two nights, but it got abused) So now it's one night free, $25.00 thereafter. Downtown Jacksonville Fla. Used to allow you to tie up overnight downtown ( don't know if that's still the policy. )

·
12,165 Posts
Port Washington was 3 last time I was there ( last year)

Rock Hall wharf- free
Cambridge concrete wall - free
Leonardtown - free new warf

All in MD.

Reactions: MastUndSchotbruch

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
Northport is free and has water and free electricity and a gorgeous bathroom.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
It's been some time since I've used it but Town Dock in Westbrook, CT (actually a piling wall) allowed free tie ups. Believe there was a time llimit, but plenty to walk up to Bill's for some great New England seafood.

Two free moorings in North Cove, Saybrook, CT. Right off the town dock and relatively short walk to town. They allow 2 day IIRC.

I also heard the moorings in Port Washington were no longer free, but the $25 fee includes use of the water taxi, so about a wash.

I am happy when a harbor has a free dinghy dock. Port Jeff is an example of a town that does not.

to

·
12,165 Posts
I have found Port Jeff incrediably unfriendly to transient boaters , especially compared to many of its neighboring towns

1 - 7 of 7 Posts