SailNet Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Food Graham bread Ingredient Staple food Recipe

Everything goes better with Good Bread! I've been making this for a number of years. It's made in a Dutch Oven, placed in the Oven to get the crust. There are many variations, Rye, Pumpernickel etc. recipe Here ->

Old soul
Looks great. I haven't tied a dutch-oven bread on board yet because I don't have pan that fits my little oven. But I've really been getting into this style over the last year while I've been pandemically land-locked.

What dutch oven do you use?

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What dutch oven do you use?
Mike, I have two, a large 6 qt. one, and a smaller one, I believe it's 2 1/2 to 3 qt. I believe they are both made by Tramonitina. I've found the smaller one is better suited to the above bread. But, both work. I paid $19.95 for the smaller one sale at my local supermarket. There is absolutely no need ( pun unintended) to spend hundreds of dollars on these. Mine are both enameled cast Iron, with metal knobs on the lid. I think the larger one cost me about $50.00.

Old soul
Mike, I have two, a large 6 qt. one, and a smaller one, I believe it's 2 1/2 to 3 qt. I believe they are both made by Tramonitina. I've found the smaller one is better suited to the above bread. But, both work. I paid $19.95 for the smaller one sale at my local supermarket. There is absolutely no need ( pun unintended) to spend hundreds of dollars on these. Mine are both enameled cast Iron, with metal knobs on the lid. I think the larger one cost me about $50.00.
Thanks Temp, I'll have to look for something. I have a wee-small oven on board; not much bigger than a standard toaster oven. But I bake all our bread while we're on board. I can squeeze three smaller standard bread pans in at one time, so I'm sure I can find something.

Registered
Hunter 386
Thanks Temp, I'll have to look for something. I have a wee-small oven on board; not much bigger than a standard toaster oven. But I bake all our bread while we're on board. I can squeeze three smaller standard bread pans in at one time, so I'm sure I can find something.
I have a lodge cast iron that is perfect for a 2/3 size boule: Cast Iron Dutch Ovens | Lodge Cast Iron

In other news, I deviated from my typical pan pizza and tried a thin crust last night (in a preheated cookie sheet). Worked out pretty darn good.
Food Ingredient Recipe Tableware Staple food

Registered
Hunter 386
I almost always bake no knead on board (with coarse salt and herbs to Provence sprinkled on top... Mmmmmm!) but this trip I brought some sourdough starter and started experimenting. I had to adjust the proportions and screwed that up so I ended up with two loaves. And with no parchment or bannetons getting them from the bowl to the pot was... interesting. But they look ok (the second one benefited from the hotter oven and pot) and still taste terrific.

Jury is still out if maintaining the starter and the extra time is going to be worth it, but I have to say it makes a great treat.

Food Tableware Ingredient Plate Recipe

Registered
Hunter 386
All I had was tea towels and I was reluctant to goo one up with flour. I think I will have to use your suggestion, buy something appropriate and just designate it the baking cloth.
In lieu of parchment I use a very fine linen Napkin to transfer from bowl to pot. I dust it with a little flour and corneal,

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All I had was tea towels and I was reluctant to goo one up with flour. I think I will have to use your suggestion, buy something appropriate and just designate it the baking cloth.
The dough would probably stick to a tea towel. One of those bandanas would work, there's little to no nap for the dough to cling to.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts