SailNet Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
https://www.nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/staff/BookletChart.html

Maybe I'm late to the game and everybody is already aware...
I printed out 20+ charts for the Florida area I'll be in, spending some laser ink and $7 in paper.
Those charts are approx $500 retail and print-on-demand.
Mine aren't waterproof and aren't in color, and are broken into 8.5x11 blocks/sheets, but I'll travel thru some of them in a day.
I couldn't resist.
I've always been a 'paper' map and chart lover even with having the digital.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
https://www.nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/staff/BookletChart.html

Maybe I'm late to the game and everybody is already aware...
I printed out 20+ charts for the Florida area I'll be in, spending some laser ink and $7 in paper.
Those charts are approx $500 retail and print-on-demand.
Mine aren't waterproof and aren't in color, and are broken into 8.5x11 blocks/sheets, but I'll travel thru some of them in a day.
I couldn't resist.
I've always been a 'paper' map and chart lover even with having the digital.
Nothing wrong with having paper charts even when one has all the whiz bang electronics. Paper always works. I like having charts and my copy of Eldridge Tide and Pilot in the cockpit even with my chart plotter at the helm. Also usually have the large scale chart on the table in the cabin for a quick look at the big picture.

·
Registered
21,634 Posts
Yup, good stuff. NOAA also has full charts online for free. Pretty sure you can download the pdf versions, save on your laptop and zoom in as needed. I've only ever looked online for planning, I keep a large MapTech chartbook on the nav table.

The booklet charts are cool, but I find they cover too little area for real time nav, before needing to flip a page.

https://www.nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/mcd/NOAAChartViewer.html

·
Registered
175 Posts
Minnewaska; said:
Pretty sure you can download the pdf versions, save on your laptop and zoom in as needed.
You can download them and it's really handy, especially if you're just passing through an area. But try opening them on your computer / tablet before you need them. I've seen some PDF reader programers choke on the size of some of them and they routinely crash apps on my iPad.

I hate to say it but Adobe's Acrobat program seems to fare the best with them.

If you're not printing them, don't make the mistake of downloading the BookletChart versions. They're hard to work with on a computer screen. Full size PDFs are here: https://www.nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/pdfcharts/

·
Daniel - Norsea 27
1,258 Posts
I have all the NOAA PDFs on a computer and external drive and update them once in a while, even though I'm not sailing yet. But, when the refit is to the point I can launch the boat, I'll get some paper charts for the area. GPS and paper chart is what I'll have for now.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Or at lots of FedEx/Kinkos
Yep, but not cheap... at least not around here. Best deal I've found is frugalnavigator.com who will print NOAA full size charts for much less. Currently $16 each vs $7.99 per square foot at my local FedEx/Kinkos + the frugalnavigator charts are water resistant. A much better deal as long as you don't need them yesterday.:)

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Yep, but not cheap... at least not around here. Best deal I've found is frugalnavigator.com who will print NOAA full size charts for much less. Currently $16 each vs $7.99 per square foot at my local FedEx/Kinkos + the frugalnavigator charts are water resistant. A much better deal as long as you don't need them yesterday.:)
That's why it's handy to have access to a large format printer at work ;)

·
Registered
239 Posts
thanks for the tip. Just ordered 2 - one for boat and one for office wall

1 - 10 of 10 Posts