SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· ASA and PSIA Instructor
4,346 Posts
Reaction score
thanks, I already have requested the reservation for BI, wasn't sure if I was being too ambitious for a first cruise either, so have not made the slip reservation for NewPort or MV yet. Our son leaves the following week after our cruise for a new job out west, so we are trying to fit in a trip that suits him. I'd prefer to spend the first three nights in BI and then head over to Newport. But he doesn't want to spend that much time there. Any idea how far to Cutty Hunk from BI or is there some other better mid way point to MV?
We have a shake out sail on May 8 and I guess if we have problems we'll just have to modify our plans. My main concern is any tricky navigation or just trying to go to far in a day. I am hoping for 4-5 hours of sailing per day, max.
Furst, be sure to plan your departures to have a following current,otherwise a 2 hour trip becomes a six hour trip, especially so for Vinyard Sound.

Not likely to find a slip in Cuttyhunk, stop there only for lunch and a favorable tide. Add a stay in Woods Hole instead, seek a slip from Welcome to Woods Hole Marine and visit the NO Institute.

MV to me means Vineyard Haven, they have a good public water taxi, so you can live off a mooring much better tan a slip IMHO, if you plan your trip so you arrive early, you should be able to pick one up behind the breakwater, hail the HM on 9. If you really want a slip try Coatswise Wharf MARTHA'S VINEYARD BOATING, or go to Oak Bluffs Oak Bluffs Marina - About Oak Bluffs instead (ugh).

4,346 Posts
Reaction score
......Martha's Vineyard. Either of Vinyard Haven or Edgartown are great. Plenty of things to do and places to stay. I prefer Edgartown, but that's just my preference. I think the opportunities to go dockside are better at Edgartown too, but I'm not 100% certain. ...
I agree Edgartown is well worth the visit, personally I'd do it by bus from VH as Edgardtown has crowds worthy of Nantucket.

The only slips in Egardtown at the docks behing the shoreside private homes, mostly historic whaling captain houses, slips usually occupied by the owner's vessels and/or Whalers...Of course the public water taxi is quite good.

4,346 Posts
Reaction score
As much as i enjoy woods Hole, I have to say that if the choice is one or the other, I would much rather spend two days in Vineyard Haven than in Woods Hole, especially if you have never been to MV. You could see the whole Island by bus in those two days...

The distance is the same. Be sure to try to schedule a liesurely lunch stop for Hadley harbor.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.