SailNet Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
s/v Tiger Lily
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's not high on my to do list, but I was considering putting in some noise reduction material around my Westerbeke 30. Have you used some of the noise reduction kits or materials that I see marketed? Are there Home Depot type materials that can do the same? Any caveats, words of wisdom, or lessons-learned would be appreciated.

·
Banned
12,373 Posts

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
I used THIS product from West Marine 3 years ago, and have been satisfied with the reduction in noise. Both the WM and the one Dave suggested seem to get good reviews when this question is brought up.

Marty

·
Registered
666 Posts
It has been about 20 years since I put in any noises reduction materials so things have probably changed a bit. I insulated a gas engine compartment which required a different density of foam for the higher frequencies associated with gas engines. The stuff I used was about 1" thick with aluminum foil on the face, you also tape the edges with aluminum tape. You do not want gas vapors to permeate the foam.

Diesel requires higher density materials. At that time the best for a diesel engine compartment had high density foam with a thin lead sheet in a sandwich configuration. My current boat has over 2 inches of high density foam. The foam had a black plastic coating that is now 13 years old and pealing off and making a mess. I have managed to clean it off mostly but without a coating it can soak up vapors easier, not as big a problem for a diesel engine but is still not a good idea long term.

That might help you research a bit, thicker is better but you might not have room.

Gene

·
Senior Moment Member
13,283 Posts
Diesel requires higher density materials. At that time the best for a diesel engine compartment had high density foam with a thin lead sheet in a sandwich configuration. Gene
I remember seeing a demo of that stuff at a boat show years ago - it was remarkable. They had a unmuffled chevy engine in a display box lined with it and when the box was closed you could speak in normal tones right beside it.

VERY expensive though IIRC.

·
Registered
3 Posts
We installed absorber/barrier acoustical blankets to the inside of an engine room and lowered the dB level from 100 to 68. These are Class A Fire Rated. acousticalsolutions.com/96~howard-srs-dream-boat

·
s/v Tiger Lily
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interesting! Do you hang these using your track system that I see mentioned on your site? Or can you just put washer and tack-screws?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Washer and bolts would work fine for an application like this. The blankets have grommets along the top and velcro on the sides which would help with a vertical wall installation, and for the ceiling the blankets can be made custom to have grommets along all four sides.

·
Banned
12,373 Posts
We hung ours with large washers and screws and chose to forgo any adhesive except the aluminum reflective tape which joined the 1 foot square sections.

The old sound proofing I had taken of had tuened to brittle dust and had been adhesively applied and was a mess to take off and clean up.

When we do evertually decide to replace the new soundprooofing in years it will be easier and as simple as unscrewing the screws. We used the 1 foot sections instaed of a continuous balnket as we could replace one section if it wore out before the others.

dave

·
Registered
596 Posts
Diesel requires higher density materials. At that time the best for a diesel engine compartment had high density foam with a thin lead sheet in a sandwich configuration. Gene
In my other life as a Chemical Engineer we had many projects that needed sound deadening. The hands down quintessential most effective sound deadening of any material is lead foil sandwiched between soft rubber foam and adhered with a high shear pressure sensitive adhesive., which also contributes to noise reduction.
Dick

·
Senior Moment Member
13,283 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts