SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - my cabin sole in sore need of new varnish. Unfortunately, for health reasons, I cannot use any varnish that contains urethane. Any recommendations for a good, non-urethane, varnish that's abrasion resistant enough for a cabin sole? I'd like some kind of satin finish. Thanks!

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You could try a water based floor finish like Bona.
Thanks, JimsCal, unfortunately many of the water based finishes (including Bona, I belief) are urethane finishes. I'll look at Bona again, though.

·
Master Mariner
9,233 Posts
I've had quite a bit of success with gym or basket ball court floor coating.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've had quite a bit of success with gym or basket ball court floor coating.
Capta, most of those are also urethane based - would you know if an alkyd or phenolic type varnish is okay for a cabin sole?

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
We have a table done in Rubio Monocoat, which is meant for use on floors. It is a plant-based hard wax oil product. However, it doesn't act like regular oils, and sets up very hard like varnish and is water repellant. Definitely a satin finish, and very nice looking. It comes colorless, or several different tints if your floors need color rejuvenation. Oil Plus 2C - 350 ML

Mark

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mark,

Thanks for that link - looks like a real interesting product and something worth exploring. Any idea what chemical compounds are in the accelerator? I couldn't find any info on their website.

Joost

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
According to the MSDS it contains Hexamethylene diisocyanate oligomers and 1,6-diisocyanatohexane. Both are not good for you because of cyanates, but unless you are allergic to these, simple protection should be fine.

These compounds are also used to make polyurethane coatings by acting as a cross-linker for urethane, but in this case, I think they are being used to promote linking of the linseed oil wax compounds. So it probably depends on which component of polyurethane you have trouble with.

Mark

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mark,

Thanks - I hadn't seen the MSDS. I'm allergic to compounds that contain isocyanates, that's why I can't use urethane based varnishes - so that pretty much rules out use of the accelerator.

Joost

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the links, StarTracker, unfortunately that's a urethane based finish, even though the MSDS doesn't explicitly list isocyanates. I suppose I really should reformulate my question - does anyone know any alkyd or phenolic based varnishes that are suitable for a cabin sole. Those would include Epiphanes clear high gloss varnish, Le Tonkinois, and some others. The satin finish would then require some kind of flattener...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thanks for the links, StarTracker, unfortunately that's a urethane based finish, even though the MSDS doesn't explicitly list isocyanates. I suppose I really should reformulate my question - does anyone know any alkyd or phenolic based varnishes that are suitable for a cabin sole. Those would include Epiphanes clear high gloss varnish, Le Tonkinois, and some others. The satin finish would then require some kind of flattener...
I see. Well I have used Le Tonkinois for a boat hull on a boat that is stored outdoors. Seems to hold up well, pain to apply in comparison, slow to dry, runs are a big pain so keep it thin and smooth, but pretty results. Hull rubs up against docks gets fish dragged up and over it etc. Seems to last about 3 years between a light scuff and another coat. Started with 5 coats neat on top of one coat thinned though. Better than Epiphanes on same boat.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I recently started using Le Tonkinois classic for some of my brightwork and really like it - not too difficult to apply and the results are quite pleasing. Not sure, though, if it would stand up to being used on the cabin sole.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks - some of the Epifanes products are possible. I can't use Waterlox unfortunately. Any feedback on how an alkyd or phenolic based varnish stands up when used on a cabin sole?

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just curious, why can’t you use Waterlox? It’s one of my favorites and I was fairly sure it was alkyd resin.
When I first looked at it looked like a great choice. Unfortunately the traditional Waterlox contains rosin (colophony), which is the one substance I am even more allergic to than urethane. Rosin is used in some of the more traditional varnishes, so that really limits the products I can use.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think you just need to pay someone else to do this for you.
That's the logical conclusion, isn't it? But I do enjoy working on the boat and would like to do it myself if I can find a way.

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,671 Posts
Don't varnish the cabin sole! simple answer.
If you are that sensitive to thanes, varnish and other types of finishes how do you ever expect to own a boat a vehicle or anything because just about everything manufactured or built by humankind out gases some something or other! Even your personal vehicle all that plastic... Ever wonder where that film on the inside windshield comes from in a car that is owned by a non-smoker?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts