SailNet Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
Farr 11.6 (Farr 38)
10,089 Posts
I don't believe that the Nonsuch 26 was available with a tiller. The geometry of the cockpit would suggest that a Nonsuch 26 can be converted to a tiller reasonably easily. That said Nonsuches reportedly develop pretty heavy weather helms on certain points of sail and so may not be a good candidate for tiller steering.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Hello all. Is a Nonsuch 26 available with tiller helm versus a wheel ? Or could it be (easily) converted to a tiller ? Thanks.
My Nonsuch 30 (I believe all do) has an emergency tiller that fits over the rudder stock. So I think you could easily convert one to tiller operation if you want.

·
S/V Caper Nonsuch 36
'86 Hinterhoeller Nonsuch 36, major refit '14-'15, Yanmar 4JH4AE 54 hp.
128 Posts
Hi, I am certain the 22's are available with a tiller and believe the 26' is a well, I see no reason why a conversion would be a problem if desired. Mike is correct about the emergency tiller configuration for Nonsuch. The rudder is a semi balanced fin type and I have not experienced any excessive weather helm assuming correct sail trim on my 36' Nonsuch, however, I have a wheel so there is some mechanical advantage.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Did a Nonsuch ever sail the ocean?
A few have. One with and without crew. It's story was written about in the book WITHOUT RIVAL.
Though it's designed for coastal cruising the boats are tougher than the crews it seems.

"The Nonsuch series of boats are generally considered to be very sturdily built boats. In his review, Paul Howard states that two Nonsuches, David Philpott's "Serenity IV" and Brian Shelley's "Saci IV", were abandoned at sea, found floating months later, and were refurbished and are sailing today."[3]

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
If there is access through the deck for an emergency tiller you should be able to rig a tiller. I did my Pearson 35 using hollow bronze tube machined to the diameter of the rudder shaft, 1 3/4" in my case, with a solid 1 1/2" rod at the other end to take the tiller head. Used a 2" thick piece of UHMPE plastic bolted to the cockpit sole as a top seal and bearing for the shaft.

If you want to explore it, have a 1 7/8" tiller head I'm not using. Could be machined to 2" if needed. Also a 1 5/8"

1 - 7 of 7 Posts