SailNet Community banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Use your GI Bill to take a class in diesel mechanics, low voltage electricity, and if you can find one fiberglass repair. If you can log the time (180 days at sea) then a six pac license would also be a good idea.

Otherwise skills in navigation and piloting are critical, classes however may be hard to find.

Great suggestions. Thank you!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
One of the areas that you can get work is the charter business, specifically as a skipper / cook combo taking people out on skippered charters.

You will need some quals, and be able to demonstrate competance. Also they prefer to hire 'established' couples.

Moorings are reckoned to be the best employers so get to cherry pick the skippers/cooks but do a year with someone else and you can get in.

But I could not do it. 4 out of 5 trips will be great. However you will be ready to kill the charters by day two. I have never coped well with fools and a********s.
I didn't even think about that. Thank you. I'm sure it varies greatly by boat, season, and locale, but typically how much does a charter cost, say in the south Pacific or Caribbean, during peak and off season? Thank you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
@Capta

I received your PM, but the system would not let me respond without first having 15 posts. Thank you, will keep it in mind.

·
Swab
825 Posts
Wow... Thank you all for the replies. I'm overwhelmed. Thank you.

After reading, I'm getting a better sense of what needs to be done to best suit my individual situation.

The two big things are time and money. Like I mentioned, family obligations will keep in LA for several years. Already planned to use the time to learn and hone skills, while working on a stronger financial foundation.

Phase uno: Lessons - YC - network
Phase dos: Live aboard small boat - just sail - network
Phase tres: Race team - crew on big cruising boat - network
Phase cuatro: Shop for cruiser - work at retail shop - network
Phase cinco: Cruise! - network :)

Any comments on the steps? Also, regarding additional funds, hopefully over many years, I'll gain all-around boating and maintenance skills, but if I were to use my GI Bill for cruising-related education or job training, what would be the most useful? Mechanic's school and rigging were mentioned. What skill will save me the most money in the long run? Besides networking :)

Thank you!
Excellent plan. Much like our own progress but improved upon with the addition of actual training at the start. :cool:

PS: The most important skill for long term success as a cruiser with a small income, like us, is learning how to avoid unnecessary spending and monthly financial commitments.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts