SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to unexpected change in plans (long story for another time….) I’m thinking very seriously of sailing my boat down to the Norfolk area to store it for the winter in the water. I’m really tired of all the dismantling and extreme winterizing that’s required here in Maine and I’d also like to extend my sailing season. So, I wonder if those of you who are very familiar with this area could guide me in choosing a marina? I do plan to spend time aboard over the winter though I would not be a full time liveaboard. I’d plan to do a quick haul-out for bottom paint and zincs in the spring, then depart for Maine in late April to take full advantage of the sailing season here. Just looking online. couple of marinas that look interesting to me are both in Portsmouth, Tidewater and Ocean Yacht Marina. I probably won’t have a car so would like to be able to walk to grocery store and pub(s) and possibly places of cultural interest. And of course I hope the marina staff are nice people. So, do any of you who are familiar with these two or other area marinas have any good advice for me about which marina would best suit my plans?

·
Registered
75 Posts
As I am sure you have seen, the locations of both of these are some distance from Chesapeake Bay. They are "in town" and you can walk to the Portsmouth restaurants. They are a ferry ride to downtown Norfolk and it's shopping, restaurants, etc. but no full size grocery stores. The down side would be they are several hours up the Elizabeth River from good sailing water.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As I am sure you have seen, the locations of both of these are some distance from Chesapeake Bay. They are "in town" and you can walk to the Portsmouth restaurants. They are a ferry ride to downtown Norfolk and it's shopping, restaurants, etc. but no full size grocery stores. The down side would be they are several hours up the Elizabeth River from good sailing water.
Youre definitely right about that but I won’t arrive until almost mid November so doubt I’ll want to daysail much. I’m more interested in whether they are good places to stay and what’s nearby. Is there a marina other than those 2 that you think is better?

·
Administrator
8,140 Posts
If you really want to be in the action there's Norfolk City Marina http://www.watersidemarina.com/ in the downtown. It's small but really nice. I've stayed there twice for about a week each time. I don't remember it being expensive but transiting is different from a long contract.

IIRC there's free shuttle buses going to the supermarket and around downtown.

There's other marinas but I'll pay a premium for location. 🙂

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
I liked Waterside as well, but back then there was a Hooter's right next to my dock ;) I did stay for a week at Bluewater in Hampton and they should be able to offer long-term rates. While there is just a restaurant right at the docks, they have free bicycles and there are stores in 5-minute biking distance, plus they'll shuttle you into Hampton (another 5-minute ride) where there are many shops. That might be an option.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts