SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Pearson Ensign
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been watching some of Ben and Teresa's videos from sailing simplicity and then checking out the Nor'sea 27.

From what I can tell they sell for more than double what other boats this size go for, is there anything that sets these apart?

Same for the Bristol Channel Cutter 28

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Greetings sirtang. I once read that boats sell by the pound. The Nor'sea is some where around 8100 pounds so that might explain why the price is high. Also the quality of the materials that go into the boat, bronze ports and fittings, interior finish, strength of rigging. If you are considering a Nor'sea there is a yahoo group you might want to check out and there are other videos besides Teresa and Ben on you tube. What drove me to a Nor'sea was trailer-ability, several have made circumnavigations, and they hold their value. And when the boat is not in use for an extended period of time she can sit at home where I can work on her. I'm not captive by the pirates of the marinas.

Reactions: seabeau

·
Broad Reachin'
2,038 Posts
From what I can tell they sell for more than double what other boats this size go for, is there anything that sets these apart?
I'd say being a "trailerable" (any boat CAN be trailered with the right equipment), bluewater pocket cruiser is what sets them apart. There aren't many competitors in that niche, particularly these days. It's a proven design with multiple circumnavigations and ocean crossings on the resume.

·
Daniel - Norsea 27
1,258 Posts
I was originally looking into Cape Dory 27's and other boats that were close in size and age. I ended up getting a Nor'sea 27. Yes it was double the boats I was considering and what I had expected to spend on my first boat but I'm glad I did.

This boat is heavily built. Even today, they can be built new and still using the same methods as when it started in the 70's. Like other models of boats, the NS27 has a strong following of owners who love their boats. They have crossed oceans multiple times and some have circumnavigated as well.

It was built to cross oceans.

I'd say the same with the BCC28. Very well built and capable of going anywhere you point the bow.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Most of these boats are also very unique in that they have somewhat of a center cockpit and a private aft cabin with its own companionway from the cockpit. That level of privacy on boat of this length and particularly beam has no equal. Its a very interesting boat, and IMO, very beautiful. Never enough to choose from.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
There's a Norsea 27 aft cockpit in the slip next to mine. Been watching it slowly decay for the last 4 years. The owner comes down about once a year, tightens the dock lines, and leaves. A foot of growth on the bottom, mould all over the running rigging, brightwork drying out and cracking. What a shame.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
These are salty as ...., beautiful, and strong. I'm a big fan.

There is no one thing that makes a boat more costly than another, it's everything. Hardware like big cleats/big backing plates, nice opening port lights that can take green water, right sized or oversized winches, solid chain plates, bulkheads that are tabbed in to the hull, wood work/carpentry, well organized wiring, no chopper guns, etc...etc....etc.

All this stuff costs money for the components, but moreover, the labor hours.

I'd rather be offshore in a blow in a strongly built smaller boat, than a poorly built bigger boat.

Disclaimer - - Lot's of people on this site disagree.

Besides, those things are salty as .....

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
There's a Norsea 27 aft cockpit in the slip next to mine. Been watching it slowly decay for the last 4 years. The owner comes down about once a year, tightens the dock lines, and leaves. A foot of growth on the bottom, mould all over the running rigging, brightwork drying out and cracking. What a shame.
Well this just ruined my day. :crying The owner is not ready to give up the dream. The Nor'sea abuse police should be notified. ;)

·
Daniel - Norsea 27
1,258 Posts
That's too bad. Maybe someone can try saving it from the owner.

I tend to say I saved my boat from the previous owner but it certainly wasn't THAT bad, no matter how much work I've had to do... and have yet to do on it.

·
Pearson Ensign
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Daniel, I was just watching your videos this weekend about your experiences, you are the 6'5" guy!
very cool to interact with the TV personalities that I watch on youtube!

NS 27 and BCC are definitely going on the short list :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Re: Nor'sea 27 engine size

Hi
am posting my question as feel there is no need to add another new thread but to take advantage of Nor'sea 27 owners.
Looking at some in the market with different engine configuration,some have a 2 cylinder engine,some have one cylinder Yanmar (8hp)
I have the feeling small one cylinder is too small.
Any opinions and experience on what is a practical minimum?
To help my question,I will depend quite a bit on motoring (age 77) cannot afford adjusting sails as I used to.
thanks
David

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
David our Nor'sea is up for sale. She is an aft cabin, 1992, with a triple axle Pacific trailer and a Yanmar 2GM20F engine. She is in good to very good condition and well equipped.
She is located in East Tennessee.
I think you should consider a twin cylinder engine. Heard tell a single cylinder has vibration and might be under powered. I never had a problem powering in all sorts of conditions.
PM me for additional info.
Regards
Jerry

·
Registered
10 Posts
Jerry,I have your new email address,but cannot make head from tails
I understand you are using a different combination of dot and at but not sure how
David
could you just write what follows your name format and then I can add your name? your name been xxxxx
Like xxxxx @??? o watever format you use
thanks
LOoks like I cannot send you a PM as have not enough seniority
Thanks
David

·
Registered
9 Posts
Truly a shame but I understand. Hard to let go of the dream.

·
Registered
9 Posts
That's too bad. Maybe someone can try saving it from the owner.

I tend to say I saved my boat from the previous owner but it certainly wasn't THAT bad, no matter how much work I've had to do... and have yet to do on it.
Daniel @Rhapsody-NS27 would you mind PMing me. I don't have enough posts yet to PM you and I had a couple of questions about an aft cockpit Nor'Sea.
-david

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Daniel @Rhapsody-NS27 would you mind PMing me. I don't have enough posts yet to PM you and I had a couple of questions about an aft cockpit Nor'Sea.
-david
I have an aft cabin Nor'sea. If you want, ask me and I will ty to answer your questions. Might be good to have opinions from different owners.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts