SailNet Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
1982 Skye 51
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if all Norseman fittings come with UNF threads or if there is a difference depending on which country the part was purchased in? I have a body and a threaded eye, both Norseman brand, that start to screw together but then stop and won't go together (without wire) any farther. Threads all look fine and nothing seems to be impeding the threads. Could it be like trying to thread a BSP bit into and NPT fitting--it will go for a few threads and then stop...?

·
19,488 Posts
Sounds like a thread pitch mismatch.. can you use something (putty? soft coffee stir stick?) to try and get a print of the female thread then compare it to the male part?

·
I don't discuss my member
2,557 Posts
Get one of these.

Find out what thread it is, and compare it to the other piece, if they are the same then there might be a bur that can be cleaned up with a tap. If not it could be a bad part.

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
damn thats awesome! where did you get yours?

·
1982 Skye 51
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have never seen one of those before; i will take two! the problem is the size of the piece, it's for 1/2" wire and my tap and die sets are too small to help. it will have to be something like putty to create a solution.

the body is big enough to see into and to run my fingher along as well as a dental pick and i can't feel any flaws, that's why i was wondering if norseman made different threads. my looking on the internet returned only UNF threads from retailers and i didn't find much help on the Navtec or Norseman riging sites

·
69' Coronado 25
323 Posts
I am not sure if Norseman have SAE and METRIC, you can check the web site.

·
1982 Skye 51
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i can't find anything about it on the Lewmar or Navtec site

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
yeah they have metric and sae...right hand or left threads...

·
69' Coronado 25
323 Posts
yeah they have metric and sae...right hand or left threads...
Well then..... There's your answer, more than likely you have a SAE and METRIC mix. Let us know the outcome when you find out.

·
1982 Skye 51
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks, christian. now to order one of those cool thread tools...

·
I don't discuss my member
2,557 Posts
The tool is a thread gauge. Lots online but if you can find them at Lowes or other hardware stores. They usually come in tap and die sets as well.

·
1982 Skye 51
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks, my tap and die set is from the dark ages and isn't properly equipped. wonder if i'll be able to find one with SAE here in NZ...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts