SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Chaps,
I'm well aware of the European quality boats, having spent so much time working over there. Halberg-Rassy, Nautor, Sweden Yachts, Finngulf, X-Yachts, Dehler, etc, but I'm not so sure which North American built yachts are their equivalent. In my mind I have Hinckley, Morris, Lyman-Morse. Is Tartan in this league too? Can anyone please list the quality builders here in North America? Thanks.

·
19,489 Posts
Not sure that Tartan still holds such a place these days, but certainly the others you mention would qualify. I'd add Island Packet and Pacific Seacraft (though the latter no longer in production) to that list. Gozzard yachts seem well regarded too in that genre.

In the used category the locally built Sceptres (41/43) have stood the test of time.

But in today's ecomony if you're looking at new it's anyone's guess who'll remain in business.

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
Not sure that Tartan still holds such a place these days, but certainly the others you mention would qualify. I'd add Island Packet and Pacific Seacraft (though the latter no longer in production) to that list. Gozzard yachts seem well regarded too in that genre.

In the used category the locally built Sceptres (41/43) have stood the test of time.

But in today's ecomony if you're looking at new it's anyone's guess who'll remain in business.
I'd agree with Faster in most respects, except to add that Pacific Seacraft was purchased out of bankruptcy two plus years ago and is still in business.

Although they definitely have a more performance bent, some might add the larger, cruisier J-Boats to the list.

On more of a semi-custom level, the Cape George Cutters are a traditional but high quality option. Also, semi-custom builder Kanter Yachts in Canada is highly regarded.

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
On the European quality boats side wouldn't you add Swan?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Valiant Yachts are built about 100 yards from the back end of my boat and are argueably one of the best built yachts for long distance cruising anywhere in the world. Like their European cousins, though, they do have their tradeoffs. However, their is NO lack of quality.

For a more modest boat, Catalina and Hunter Marine are also located in the US. They are certainly not Swans... but depending on your use, they are either an ideal or poor choice.

Brian

·
Registered
4,507 Posts

·
Banned
273 Posts
Gozzard is a Canadian company, of Bayfield fame.

Another great company, I'm sure if it's American is Cabo Rico, awesome boats.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
On the European side, I'd add Nauticat as well... they're very nice boats, for lead mines. :)

Tartan and C&C are definitely not in that league IMHO, just due to issues with the company behind the two brands.

·
Administrator
9,180 Posts
When you list boats like Halberg-Rassy, Nautor, Sweden Yachts, Finngulf, X-Yachts, Dehler, with the possible exception of Halberg-Rassy these are all reasonably modern, high performance and well constructed boats. Of the three US companies that you mention, only Morris makes a reasonable performance oriented boat and its a 54 footer. Most of the others that are mentioned above; Hinckley, Lyman-Morse, Island Packet, Pacific Seacraft, Cape George Cutters, Gozzard, or Cabo Rico would not provide the sailing ability of the European boats that you mention and some would not be in the same league with regards to the quality of their construction.

In a general sense, the quality European yards seem to be ahead of us in terms of the innovativeness of their designs. Up to date fractional sloop rigs and modern hull forms are much more popular over there than in the States.

I think that the closest U.S. made boats to the boats that you are considering would be the cruising series of J-boats. Sabre might also qualify except that their designs are still very dated. Tartan/C&C have been slowly updating their designs to be a bit more modern but as mentioned the net is full of alligations and records of lawsuits against the company related to lack of payment to suppliers and warranty issues.

At this point there is a real shortage of high quality, modern designed, dual purpose, reasonably high performance boats coming out of US yards.

Respectfully,
Jeff

·
Registered
183 Posts
What's the take on Saga Yachts and other performance quality cruisers? I have trouble perceiving the comparable level of performance between the Euro brands listed and the quality North American brands; i.e. Nauter vs IP. (did I put that diplomatically enough? :laugher)
Mike

·
Administrator
9,180 Posts
Mazzy,

No offense taken but Nautor predominantly produces high performance, beautifully finished, sophisticatedly engineered, dual purpose boats. Island Packet predominantly produces low performance, robust but crudely engineered, simply finished offshore cruisers. They are at opposite ends of the spectrum from a performance standpoint.

Saga made (makes?) a series of very interesting boats that were intended to push the preformance envelop in some ways. They were good boats in a lot of ways but again they are not all that high performance and in many ways do not reflect the current thinking in rigs, hull forms with buoyancy distributions which result from the aftward placement of the longitudinal center of gravity and so on. Not bad boats but not in the same league the OP was playing in.

When you look at the boats on the list, and include the current generation of Halberg Rasseys, for the most part these are boats with fractional rigs, moderately light displacement, fine bows and moderately powerful stern sections, fin keels with bulbs and other features which really increase the combination of speed, motion comfort, ease of handling, and seaworthiness over older style designs.

Jeff

·
Abysmally Stupid
497 Posts
I would consider adding Outbound (www dot outboundyachts dot com) to the list.

I have no experience with them but have seen them at the boatshow and there was one in my marina a whiole ago. It looked real solid.

·
Mermaid Hunter
5,689 Posts
I bought an HR because I wanted a comfortable boat that sailed well. I looked at a lot of North American boats and ended up with a SE boat. YMMV. Morris and Hylas make decent boats for comfort and performance but you will have a hard time matching the balance of the Euro boats. The current economy and exchange rates are not your friends.

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
There is probably a reason, that of the top 5 boats i would like, NONE are built in NAmerica. Close might be C&C, but even then, not sure they have the overall performance ability of most European rigs, J-boats 109 may fit the bill too for a boat in the size range I would like, Ie about 10-11M or 33-36'.

Santa Cruz has a few new designs out with the 37 and 41'ish foot boat, but time will tell if they are built to some of the european models.

Marty

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
There is probably a reason, that of the top 5 boats i would like, NONE are built in NAmerica. Close might be C&C, but even then, not sure they have the overall performance ability of most European rigs, J-boats 109 may fit the bill too for a boat in the size range I would like, Ie about 10-11M or 33-36'.

Santa Cruz has a few new designs out with the 37 and 41'ish foot boat, but time will tell if they are built to some of the european models.

Marty
What would you do with that boat? WHat is your intended useage?

- CD

PS I must assume this is not a highjack as the original question has been answered.

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
What would you do with that boat? WHat is your intended useage?

- CD

PS I must assume this is not a highjack as the original question has been answered.
Brian,

I'm personally looking for a boat that is in the upper 30% speed wise in the length bracket I am looking at, and still have some assemblence of an interior. While the C's, H's, IP's etc have an interior, they are generally speaking, in the slower 50% of boats in the length they sell in. An X yacht, a 34 or 35 of which I like, Dehlers 34R, Jeanneau's SunFast 3200, Beneteau's 36.7 will all smoke NA built boats as far as speed goes. Yeah, the B36.7 is built in the US, but it, like the J109 were designed for the European market, which are boats like Giulletta etc. Even the C&C designs, while fast, they have a harder time sailing to ratings if you race them.

I'll admit, I am not looking at a cruiser, more of a race/cruiser into a slower reasonable interior racer model style boat. Do not want a melges/mumm style, but the swan club 42 ooooo la la, or the swan 45. But I have to admit, those are larger than I want for my needs.

Marty

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
Outbound is a Chinese boat.

Saga is defunct going on two plus years.

Cabo Rico is built in North America (specifically, Central America).

I interpreted the OP's question as a request for information on North American built yachts considered equivalent to "European quality boats." I could be mistaken, but I don't believe he was referring to design approach so much as construction quality. As such, I'm not sure it's helpful in this case to dismiss or down-rate the North American builders because their design philosophy differs from their European counterparts.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts