SailNet Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Great story! Strong guy, and BRAVO COAST GUARD!

·
Registered
515 Posts
Pretty miraculous. Although he did everything right once he was in the water, it was still a crap shoot. Someone rolled the right number. But still, kudos to the Coasties and the volunteers. They went the extra mile, as usual.

·
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)
3,217 Posts
Should be a must read for anybody going out on a boat. You can fall overboard at -any- time with little to no warning. You even read about it happening on cruise ships

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Should be a must read for anybody going out on a boat. You can fall overboard at -any- time with little to no warning. You even read about it happening on cruise ships
Sorry, but NO, you CANNOT fall overboard "at any time, with little or no warning..."

Well, not if you're paying attention to what you're doing, anyway... :)

That's a very dangerous attitude, that falling overboard "at any time" can be something that simply HAPPENS to you... In anything less than to most extreme situations, the overwhelming percentage of MOB situations were entirely Preventable, and I suspect the number that were the result of gear/equipment failure are extremely rare...

Anyone who fails to appreciate that, will be a danger to themselves and those they sail with, and should perhaps think twice about venturing out upon open waters... :)

Our obsession with the notion that safety can be 'bought' never ceases to amaze... Your most important bit of Safety Gear is that bit of grey matter that resides between your ears, and it's absolutely shocking to me, how many folks I see out there are not even remotely close to mastering the art of moving about their boats safely, or confidently - and likely never will...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts