SailNet Community banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
7,152 Posts
The thing that’s screwy about the southeast is how hard it’s to get to the ocean in so many places. A long ride through shoals and flats or a river ride. In the northeast you can commonly sail off your mooring or power very briefly to get out of slip. Then youre sailing. Good harbors are no more than 10m apart and there’s a host of quiet places to drop a hook. I know the season is short so snowbird. I spent a totally miserable week in oriental. I’ve done the ICW several times and hate it. tedious and boring while needing to pay attention. If I was moving to the area you’re thinking of I’d get a killer center console and OMG take up golf. Feel the same about the east coast of Florida except for the keys and would only do a cat on the west coast of Qtip land.
have you looked at Charleston SC? Strong currents but otherwise checks your boxes.

·
12,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
That’s a strong vote for it.

what do all of you do when the hurricane is close, pull your boats?
How often does that happen?
how often per year do you worry?

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
We rode out a couple of hurricanes while living in Delaware. Tied to a floating dock. Dock itself tied and anchored. Fairly protected location except the very real chance the surge would float the docks off the pilings. Friends in Beaufort say they seem to get one on an average year, 4 years experience. They haul or move to a protected location. Some folks buy haul insurance, so that if there is a hurricane you are guaranteed a haul.
I’ve no idea what I will do. Probably run far up a sound and anchor out. Multiple anchors on separate rodes.
Upper Chesapeake can have the problem of debris’s washing over the Conowingo dam and in turn sweeping boats away.
Few good generalities I’m afraid.

·
Registered
676 Posts
That’s a strong vote for it.

what do all of you do when the hurricane is close, pull your boats?
That is a question best answered by each of the marinas on you list as part of your 'due diligence'. Some require all boats to leave, others not. Ask what the boats do in each of the marinas you are considering. Ask about damage to the marina due to wind and to surge. Ask about damage to the marina's boats. Hauling out ashore can be problematic given the lack of high ground and the limited capacity of the local yards. At Northwest Creek Marina we have stayed in our slip since our arrival in the fall of 2004. The worst storm for us has been Florence in 2018 due not to wind but to surge and to a failure of a newly installed mooring system at the slips of three of the marina's docks..

Here is a list of NC hurricanes List of United States hurricanes - Wikipedia .

Bill

·
12,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
We visited Northwest today and talked with a few slip holders and the dock master. Really liked it a lot there. Not used to 240 boats so I hope it’s a mellow crowd. Like their hurricane prep and policies. Prices still 25% cheaper for us. Not sure if the rec center membership is worth it, but still very cheap

visited 20 marinas. Northwest first choice, Ensign second choice,

For the life of me ( and this wasn’t my first time there, I can’t figure out why Oriental is so highly though of.

the Neuse has plenty of sailing room for us, especially as it gets close to the Sound.

spent today looking at neighborhoods and houses. We think we will purchase around New Bern when we decide to bite the bullet.

·
12,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Looks like you guys are in for a flood event. The results of this may determine whether the New Bern area stays high on our list for retiring to. The people certainly are very friendly.

Stay safe and ride this one out well.

·
Registered
676 Posts
The water went up 2.5 ft and came down to -2 ft. National Weather Service Advanced Hydrologic Prediction Service Today NW Creek said in an email:

Hello Everyone

Sorry this is late but we have no Internet. ( A Sudden Link Problem ) We have a service call out.

The marina has power and water and we will start selling fuel tomorrow.

We sustained no damage from the storm that we can see, with exception of some canvas that was not removed.

Please make sure if you did not have a long line to cross the fairway you have one available for the next storm.

Staff

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
We have booked a slip in Edenton for Jan/Feb/March. Pretty little historic town. Pretty far from much. They have a super market, Mc Donald’s, coffee shops, restaurants. Walmart is 40 min or so in Elizabeth City. Norfolk 1-1/2 hours.

·
12,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #49 (Edited)
The thing that’s screwy about the southeast is how hard it’s to get to the ocean in so many places. A long ride through shoals and flats or a river ride. In the northeast you can commonly sail off your mooring or power very briefly to get out of slip. Then youre sailing. Good harbors are no more than 10m apart and there’s a host of quiet places to drop a hook. I know the season is short so snowbird. I spent a totally miserable week in oriental. I’ve done the ICW several times and hate it. tedious and boring while needing to pay attention. If I was moving to the area you’re thinking of I’d get a killer center console and OMG take up golf. Feel the same about the east coast of Florida except for the keys and would only do a cat on the west coast of Qtip land.
have you looked at Charleston SC? Strong currents but otherwise checks your boxes.
37 miles New Bern ( one day ) out the Morehead Inlet into the Atlantic vs 145 miles. from Annapolis. No current. Long season. Pleanty of places to Gunkhole like the Chesapeake. Do NEnglanders even know that term as you need to go into a lobster pot / mooring choked harbor

Guess it’s your frame of reference. Nuesse River/ Pamlico Sound 15 - 20 ft deep. Neglidgable current

41 - 49 of 49 Posts