SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to the ongoing dredging project expanding the mooring field, there is currently no waiting list for moorings in North Cove - I don't recall that happening in the 27 years I've been in town.

I'm really looking forward to being able to swing on my mooring all day long instead of three hours on either side of high tide! The entrance channel and main mooring field is going to be dredged to 11 feet at MLW and the sides of the mooring field will be dredged to 6 feet for shallow draft vessels. It's a beautiful and protected spot and best of all, it's below the Amtrak RR bridge, so we have access to the Sound without waiting for the bridge. The town is also starting a long-overdue renovation of the town dock at North Cove, so we should be enjoying that soon also.

By the way, for those that were interested in the thread from last year regarding transient moorings around Long Island Sound, North Cove moorings are available for up to 72 hours - look for the moorings with a yellow ribbon attached. As mooring holders, when we know that the boat will be away from the mooring for an extended period of time, we put the ribbon on the float to mark it as available. All I ask is that you let me raft up if I get back and find you on my mooring! There is also a town mooring that is open to transients - come all the way west into the cove and its the last mooring ball before you bump into the town dock.

I can't wait for the sailing season to start! As I sit here in a March snow storm, it seems like it will never get here!

Excerpt from our local paper, Harbor News:
https://www.zip06.com/news/20180306/saybrook-town-dock-fix-plan-funded

"Open Moorings—Sign Up Now"

"With the North Cove dredging project nearly done, the HMCn wants boaters to know there has never been a better time to apply for a North Cove mooring. Last season, HMC had 100 moorings. This season, now that the harbor waters have been returned to design depth, more moorings can be added. This season, there will be 150 North Cove moorings available—for the first time in a long time, there is not a waiting list.

Applications for a North Cove mooring can be downloaded from the HMC’s page of the town website The Official Site of Town of Old Saybrook, CT or they can be obtained from the First Selectman’s Office at Town Hall."

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,182 Posts
Thanks for the update! I hope that someone will post the update about the dredged channel and mooring field in ActiveCaptain after they have visited.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Nice, I will have to remember that if ever in the area.

·
Registered
4,684 Posts
Thanks for the update! Glad to hear the transient mooring policy is still in place. It's been awhile since I have been in there, but this will encourage me to visit again.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Had heard they were scheduled to dredge, Thanks so much for confirm and all the good info.
Have been a fan and have stayed in NC many times while heading east or returning.
Also have caught grief from friends who have gone aground (soft) in your lovely cove.
But I, and all, always enjoy an afternoon/evening in Old Saybrook.
Will be helping a friend bring their boat down from Yankee Yard/Portland in the
spring so will be checking on if any water front damage/delay in commissioning. Again thanks for
heads up.
Bill, thinking?, do you know if there will be any room to anchor in the shallower 6 ft area (or anywhere) or will be
all mooring? Just a curiousity as there are usually available moorings but i never leave boat if there is a chance
moorings owner will return. (and now I will know about guest mooring at end of field.)
Thanks

·
Aspiring Boat Bum
292 Posts
Have to pass this along to my friend in Essex but he may already know about it.

Speaking of dredging, they are dredging the entrance channel to Lake Tashmoo on Martha's Vineyard to a planned depth of 10' MLW. Should now be accessible for bigger boats even at low tide.

·
bell ringer
4,800 Posts
good info as I start my way North

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,182 Posts
... they are dredging the entrance channel to Lake Tashmoo on Martha's Vineyard to a planned depth of 10' MLW. Should now be accessible for bigger boats even at low tide.
I was in Lake Tashmoo last October. There is absolutely no room to anchor anywhere in Tashmoo anymore. We borrowed a mooring with the help of a local. Otherwise, we would have been SOL.

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
Are there residence requirements for these moorings? Is there a convenient dinghy dock? Do you know the cost of the moorings?

·
Aspiring Boat Bum
292 Posts
Are there residence requirements for these moorings? Is there a convenient dinghy dock? Do you know the cost of the moorings?
The ones in North Cove or Tashmoo?

In Tashmoo all the moorings are private but a couple owned by the small boat yard on the east side of the harbor are rented by the yard.

There is a nice dinghy dock but usually very croweded. You have to push your bow in, tie off with a long painter and don't tilt the engine up.

·
Aspiring Boat Bum
292 Posts
I was in Lake Tashmoo last October. There is absolutely no room to anchor anywhere in Tashmoo anymore. We borrowed a mooring with the help of a local. Otherwise, we would have been SOL.
I have a house about a mile from Tashmoo and I'm there at least every week from late spring to early fall. It may be a bit crowded but I have always found room farther back in the harbor on the west side, south of the dinghy dock. Anchored in Tashmoo off and on all last summer. Nothing compared to Block Island and much better holding.

Had a friend come through last Oct with a 44' sailboat and he had no problem finding a spot.

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
The ones in North Cove or Tashmoo?

In Tashmoo all the moorings are private but a couple owned by the small boat yard on the east side of the harbor are rented by the yard.

There is a nice dinghy dock but usually very croweded. You have to push your bow in, tie off with a long painter and don't tilt the engine up.
No... I was asking about North Cove... the OP

·
12,114 Posts
Looking forward to trying North Cove out
We stop Saybrooke a couple of time is traveling the Connecticut side up or back out of the Sound.

It’s a perfect halfway stop back from Newport or Block to Northport or Port Washington areas.

Thanks for the info SanderO

Report back what it looks like new time you stop in there

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

No residence requirement- North Cove is a federal anchorage (your tax dollars at work!)

There is a dinghy dock on the west side of the cove at the foot of Sheffield Street on the map. The dinghy dock should get an upgrade when they build a new town dock this year.

It is a 10 min stroll from the dinghy dock to Main Street where there are many restaurants, Saybrook Hardware store, Walt’s Market for reprovisioning, and the Katherine Hepburn Theatre if you are in need of a little culture.

I believe the cost for the mooring permit is currently $425.34 for the 5/1 to 11/1 season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bill, thinking?, do you know if there will be any room to anchor in the shallower 6 ft area (or anywhere) or will be

all mooring?

I’ll let you know when I get back in, Hugo. I’ve seen folks anchor just inside the entrance in the past but I’m guessing that the town will try to sell a mooring permit anywhere that they can squeeze in a swing circle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
620 Posts
Thanks, Bill that will be great.
You, and so many other great contributors here at SN make this such a trusted, valued, amazing resource.
Over the years I have detailed much local info up and down the northeast coast in several notebooks, much info
from here on SN. When friends ask about cruising destinations, and often times i come up with great little known
local tidbits...I'm asked "how do you know this stuff" ...I just respond "I have friends" Thanks to all my Sailnet friends.

Going sailing now, out of Manhasset bay.
w @15 kts with gusts

·
Aspiring Boat Bum
292 Posts
Tashmoo. URGENT update

They had some kind of problem with the dredging, not clear exactly what, but a partial fix was attempted that left the channel worse than before. There is a section with only 3 1/2' at MLW at the inner end of the entrance channel.

Hopefully this will be remedied soon. I imagine when the summer crowd starts arriving and finds they can't reach their moorings it will hit the fan and something will happen fast.

Have to pass this along to my friend in Essex but he may already know about it.

Speaking of dredging, they are dredging the entrance channel to Lake Tashmoo on Martha's Vineyard to a planned depth of 10' MLW. Should now be accessible for bigger boats even at low tide.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts