SailNet Community banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
I recently ordered a new genoa from my (relatively) local Doyle loft. They tell me it will be made in Florida. They did come an measure the boat and were responsive to my questions and requirements.

Time will tell if I made the right choice.
Same here with my main in Alameda.

·
1982 Skye 51
379 Posts
Most if not all of the big name sail makers send their orders to Hong Kong.
I know that North sends all new construction from NZ to the main loft in Auckland to be stitched, and we are relatively close to Hong Kong. Where does the notion that the big boys farm it out come from?

·
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
4,526 Posts
I bought North sails in New Jersey and they were made in Sri Lanka. I think the reality is that all of these large companies find a place to make their sails cheaply. We are considering Doyle sails that are made in Barbados. This is not to say that sails made in one of these places will be poorly made, if the cloth and designs are good and they have appropriate quality control in the plant.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I know for a fact that both my Doyle mainsail and head sail were made on site at their corporate headquarters in Salem MA USA. I went there and had them measure my existing sails. Sailmaker in Salem MA | Doyle Sailmakers Chris Howes the VP there was my only contact and I think I would have been better off having them outsource the job to a competent maker.

·
first sailed january 2008
1,409 Posts
I hope you're wrong Delta. Doyle and Kappa are the only two sailmakers I can find that make their sails here and in New Zealand.

I'm getting a Doyle quote today and he confirmed over the phone that the sail would be cut at their main facility in Massachusetts and sewn at the loft in Seattle.

So if the prices is equivalent, why would I go north or hood or anyone else? Especially since I would get the benefits of a local maker, and I get to have made in USA sails?

Plus, north Seattle really didn't want to give me the time of day. They also didn't send me the quotes I requested. The other sailmakers were all friendly and helpful.

I'm getting cruising sails. If you were in the market for those molded north race sails, I could see going with them, but then again, I think those are made here.

So any other experiences with Doyle? They're one of the big and best names aren't they?

·
no longer reading SailNet
2,309 Posts
There are plenty of lofts that will make you a sail in Seattle. You should also talk to Ballard Sails, Schattauer Sails, and Hilgard Lindsay. I sail on boats that have Seattle-made sails from each of those lofts. We have local lofts for Quantum, Ullman, North and others (you already found Doyle), but I don't know where they are making their sails.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts