SailNet Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What have your experience been with North Sails Direct? Do you find the quality of materials used the same or different from regular North Sails? Do you think a tri-radial main is worth the added expense over a cross-cut sail? Im definitely getting one for the #1.

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
Maui,

NorthDirect does a decent job at a price. The sails are fine, but they won't set the same as a custom sail. Wether it is worth it or not depends on how important the extra performance is to you. The same thing can be said about a tri-radial versus a crosscut.

Frankly I don't thing tri-radials are worth the extra money unless you race in a one design class that doesn't allow laminate sails. It is debatable certainly, but I happen to think the tri-radials are too close to the price of a laminate to just not make the jump.

Really it just depends on how much performance is worth to you, and what you expect out of the sail.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
North direct made my sails about three years ago. The sails are well made, and North was excellent to work with via emails. Not the same as sitting down with a sailmaker after a sail to discuss exactly how to make the sail you want and not a lot of hand finishing, but good strongly made sails that meet my non racing needs.
John

1 - 3 of 3 Posts