SailNet Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

My family and I are on vacation this week, in Mount Desert Island Maine. We are staying in Bar Harbor and having a great time. Today I hired boat and captain to spend a few hours on the water. We went to Northeast Harbor to sail and I was just amazed at the place!

The entire harbor was filled with beautiful sailboats. The Morris yard is located in Northeast harbor and there were many Morris boats there. We had a little time before the sail started so my son and I walked some of the docks. At the Morris place we saw what I think was a new 46' being commissioned. I have never seen a hull, toe rail, and other parts of a boat gleam so brightly. There were so many Hinckley's there that I couldn't even count them.

Once we got on the boat, a very nice Friendship Sloop, we left the harbor, raised sail, and turned the engine off. The captain was very nice and provided a lot of good information about the area. While we were sailing I could not believe the number of sailboats out and about sailing. I have never seen so many colored hulls. where I sail, the Long Island Sound, there are lots and lots of boats. Most are white. You see a lot of dark blue, some red, the occasional green, and that's about it. Here on Mount Desert Island, I saw light blue, dark blue, light green, dark green, bright red, maroon, black, yellow and more. Few boats were white, they were almost rare. Anyway, it was great to see so many boats out on a nice late summer day.

If you get a chance, go to Northeast Harbor and check it out!

Barry

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
Great spot for a cruiser. There is even a service that will grab your laundry from the harbor masters office wash, dry, fold and return it for a fee so small it is borderline ridiculous.

A great thing to do if you are there cruising is to utilize the Island Explorer bus system. It can take you anywhere on the Island. We like to hit Jordan Pond House for Popovers then hike back to NE Harbor via Thuya Garden. Cuyler Morris just bought that yard a few years ago. The original yard is over in Bass Harbor and the manufacturing plant is in Trenton behind the Airport.

This is one of the many vistas of the Harbor on the hike back from Jordan Pond through Thuya Garden..

We rode out a "Hurricane" there a few years ago, next to one of the W Class boats, and it is a well protected spot...

It looks better in calm weather..

Perhaps this was the boat you sailed on?

Contrary to popular misconception he term "Picnic Boat" was not invented by Hinckley.;) The MDI Blue Blooders still very much take their ORIGINAL picnic boats out to islands such as Marshall for a "picnic"...... This is one of the original Bunker & Ellis "picnic boats".....

Oh and you only got to see about 0.01% of the Maine coast.... Come back again and see more...;););););)

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,638 Posts
I used to go to Maine every Sept for a week or so. Love it! More wooden boats there then anywhere in the USA except maybe Port Townsend in the PNW. I always went on a windjammer for at least a day. One captain gave me the wheel for most of one day and I think that is what finally made me want my own boat. All that tonnage and wind.. and people jumping into action with a mere order from the helm. "ready about"... COMING ABOUT!"

in contrast, years later on my own boat ... "John, (my son) ready to tack? reply. "$%^&&*#@$%^ yourself!"

I really do belong on a schooner LOL

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Growing up as a flat lander in Massachusetts I never vacationed in Maine. But as an adult I took sailing lessons in Harpswell on Casco Bay. Since then I've done a good amount of cruising and racing in Maine and have fallen in love. While you are in Bar Harbor try "Cats Paw" (think that's the name) for a great breakfast.

·
Banned
12,357 Posts
Great post Barry

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,638 Posts
I'd have to say Stonington and Camden Maine are my fav places. Bar harbor is great but not for me.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Last year...September...

Was blowing straight into NE Harbor, maybe 10kts. The fog was wispy with the sun breaking through in the harbor, thicker outside. We raised the main and slipped the mooring. Unrolled the jib. Took at least 7 short tacks to clear the entrance. As we tacked out the small barge with a dump truck on it was returning from the Cranberrys. He gave us a wave and a smile. We returned the wave Maine style..low five.

We worked our way into Somes. Closed in to maybe 150 ft. The fog broke at about Valley Cove to bright sun. We enjoyed the sun, turned back into the mist, and broke out again about 100 yards from the mooring in NE. Rolled the jib, timed the turn, caught the mooring, walked back and dropped the main into the lazy jacks.

It ain't the southern ocean, the Caribbean, or the South Pacific. For a couple of months each year, it is sailing perfection.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts