SailNet Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,857 Posts
Very old design, not seen much anymore. I used one in the late 60's but haven't seen one on any boat other that a commercial fishboat for ages.

Probably ok as a 3rd anchor - new gen anchor on the bow (Rocna, Manson), Danforth as a stern anchor.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Very old design, not seen much anymore. I used one in the late 60's but haven't seen one on any boat other that a commercial fishboat for ages.

Probably ok as a 3rd anchor - new gen anchor on the bow (Rocna, Manson), Danforth as a stern anchor.
Plenty of homemade Northill-style anchors on commercial fishing boats out there, but I doubt any folding stainless ones... Those anchors are an absolute work of art, beautifully made...

Don Street always rated the Northill as one of the finest anchors ever made, although that was before the crop of New Generations came along... I still consider mine to be my Big Bertha, to use in a pinch when or where nothing else will work...

In heavy weed or kelp, or other condition where the bottom is very hard to penetrate, there is still probably nothing finer...

·
Master Mariner
8,998 Posts
I've always carried one aboard since the 70's. They are really nice because they fold up and are a great holding anchor in most bottoms. A really great stern anchor, but less useful if you are swinging 180 degrees.

·
Registered
7,857 Posts
I'd say so. You cannot buy many good 20 lb anchors for $100.

What other anchors do you have?

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
I had one many years ago, used in San Pablo bay, north end of San Francisco Bay, never
dragged. If used overnight the line, or chain might wrap around the fluke that is sticking up if the boat swings 180 degrees? As mentioned, lot of them on West Coast commercial boats, many home made.

Paul T

·
islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd say so. You cannot buy many good 20 lb anchors for $100.

What other anchors do you have?
I have an 18 pound Danforth and a 27 lb Danforth and a 15 lb Bruce claw all on 27 ft of 3/8 chain I also have a medium box anchor that I fouled on in liberty bay a couple years ago thought I had drug until it came up hanging on my 18 Danforth. Here's a link to the box for clarification https://www.slideanchor.com/Hlm_ShopIT_ProductDetails.aspx?ID=024a8189-c4ba-41dc-9a41-c5e749bb8688

·
islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does that box anchor work well? Looks a bit like a bear trap.
I have used it as a stern anchor and seemed to work well I have yet to use/trust it as a primary anchor it looks a lil hokey to me personally but it was free so I dont expect to much from it

·
Senior Moment Member
13,290 Posts
Northill's are very good but unsung anchors. I've had a couple of them and would take one in a heartbeat over a Danforth or plow.

My wife found me an unused 25# Danforth made Northill at a garage sale for $20 years ago - I still have it.

Not the best for an anchor roller obviously but the folding aspect is nice as a spare.

The fact they are so popular in the commercial fleet speaks volumes AFAIAC.

·
Registered
4,675 Posts
I used one commercially fishing on the coast and all over the Beaufort.Really like it. Only drawback,,They don't bury deep in loonshit mud so can tow it for miles when the conditions are like that. (did 10 miles overnight once.)

·
Hinterhoeller HR28
163 Posts
I have an original Northill in galvanized. It can't be beaten for setting in questionable bottoms. I do use a trip line at the crown, so that I never have to donate it to the bottom, should it get hooked under a rock or something.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I have a folding Northill in the PNW, one of three I carry:
A Fortress FX 16 and a 10 KG Bruce anchors are mounted on the bow. The Bruce can be used with a shorter scope and digs in more quickly than the Fortress when shifting. The Fortress has superior holding power when used in sand/mud bottoms.
The folding Northill Anchor is easily stowed in a cockpit locker and is the most versatile as it is effective in sand, gravel rock and weed bottoms. The primary reason to carry it is if I have to anchor in kelp or a rocky bottom where none of the other anchors will work. When the boat rotates about it, you run the risk of tangling the rode on the unused fluke.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts