SailNet Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

This is a picture of my jibsheet after the cover failed this weekend. The yarn ends were effectively melted. This line isn't even two years old. It's SAMSON Ultra-Tech. I am disappointed.

I absolutely LOVE Samson's lines. I have Amsteel everywhere. Except for this jibsheet, lines and halyards are in Warpspeed which I've used for years.

My lesson: avoid UltraTech.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Wow, that is surprising...

I've used that same line for my halyards, must be going on 10 years now... No problems at all, other than one related to a chafing issue I had at the main halyard sheave. Once I resolved that, the stuff has held up extremely well, for me...

I like most of Samson's stuff, as well... My latest favorite is MLX, I've come to love that rope. I'm using for my genoa and staysail sheets, and furling lines with the cover stripped where it goes on the drum... Also, for my windvane control lines, and other various odds and ends...

I think it's a beautiful line for headsail sheets, you might want to give it a look if you haven't seen it already...

·
no longer reading SailNet
2,309 Posts
I'm using MLX for my spin sheets too. It's really nice stuff, though the core is a bit soft feeling compared to a full dyneema core line like Warpspeed.

Have you contacted Samson to show them the failure and ask about it? Perhaps they will give you a discount on a replacement since the line is new. Did the cover fail where it is wrapped on the winch? How often did the winch slip when grinding, perhaps the cover overheated from that? I've had Sta-Set X (which was on my old jib sheets) burn from winch abuse.

I use fairly cheap Sta-Set for my jib sheets, spliced to Amsteel to taper it and make it lighter. Stretch is not really a concern when the sheets are eased, and when they are trimmed all the way in the only working line is Amsteel.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've been using something from Samsan called Tech 12, that has lasted on a spin halyard for 20 years!!!! (Spliced to some other line at the clutches).
It used to be red and now it's a very light pink.
I see it still available in the Sampson on line catalgue, but I haven't seen anyone selling or advertising it in many years. I had always assumed it was some kevlar variant but I guess that's not possible with that kind of longevity.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the suggestions, y'all

I think the clutch ate it. I really don't like conventional clutches. I replaced all except for the two jib clutches with Constrictors, and only didn't replace the jib clutches because of space issues. IMO, Constrictors are the greatest thing since sliced bread. I am, though, replacing these jib clutches with newer models.

I like MLX, too; forgot, I am using it for my topping lift. I think Warpspeed is da bomb, but I didn't use it here because I wanted a little elasticity on the jibsheet, that and I needed something in a different color. It's a bit redundant, all Warpspeed, being that I've got nine control lines all going to two winches.

I am giving a try to FSE Robline's 'Commander Dyneema.' In fact, it just arrived today. Nice tight cover, is said to have extra abrasion resistance. Line has a pretty good feel, and it's certainly light.

I wanted to go with Swiftcord, but couldn't find it any larger than 10mm, and I'm wanting 12mm for these.

·
2,309 Posts
I wouldn't call Ultra-Tech or Commander Dyneema a line with elasticity. If you want elasticity why not go with a standard double braid dacron like LS or XLS?

·
2,309 Posts
I'm aware of the differences in these two lines. Genoa sheets are short and lightly loaded compared to their size (since they are sized for comfort).

If your foresail is around 600sqft then in 20 knots of wind (~1000lb load on the sheet) and is about 10' long between clew and winch when close hauled you would see a difference of about 1/8" in stretch (even at 30 knots the difference is 1/4"). You are operating this line at close to 5% of it's breaking strength.

If you really wanted elasticity XLS is less than half as strong, so you'd be operating it at about 10% of breaking strength at 20 knots. The line would stretch 1.8" when fully loaded.

The minor difference in stretch between Warpspeed and Ultra-Tech makes a big difference on highly loaded lines that are long, like a spinnaker guy or halyard. It doesn't really show up on a genoa sheet since the loaded length is so short.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts