SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, uh, new to Lake Erie sailing -- I learned to sail in the Pacific Northwest -- but surely there's more action on Lake Erie than this forum suggests...

I live in Akron and I don't have a boat, but I've got the itch again. Moved here two years ago and have some weekly cruising and beer can racing experience. I am interested in learning some more serious racing, and also hoping to meet some sailors in the area.

Happy sailing,
Bryan

·
1968 Columbia 50
Columbia 50
461 Posts
Welcome Bryan,

Nice to see a fellow Great Lakes sailor. To be honest there is not much activity on this forum, not sure if that is seasonal, or a symptom of something worse...

I am on lake Michigan....good luck.

Scott

·
Registered
919 Posts
Funny timing on the post. I am still working my a$$ off for retirement and really enjoy my sailing experiences in the Caribbean but being raised in Iowa and having a liking for seasons I have often wondered about sailing the Great Lakes, especially Lake Superior. I know that there would be a limited sailing season but is it so good that people don't want to share their wonderful experiences or is it so bad that nobody dares to try....
Would it be possible to summer in the Great Lakes region and then transit the St Lawrence Seaway in the fall in order to winter south of the Bahama's or in the central Caribbean? Or is the Great Northwest just a better place year round?

·
Tartan 27' owner
5,242 Posts
Welcome Bryan,

... not sure if that is seasonal, or a symptom of something worse...

Scott
like, maybe it is summer, August in fact and everyone is very busy with their favorite summer pursuits, or working. This forum does slow down a bit over summer and sometimes get out of hand over the winter as sailors slowly lose it from being couped up inside.

There are quite a few SN members who sail on Lake Erie but there is a guy on the other side in Port dover who runs this blog:
Dock Six Chronicles

I really like to think that the forum traffic here slows down in summer (northern hemisphere) because most of us are just busy. In the southern hemisphere, say Australia, they are usually too polite to complain about winter and they have beer.

Me? My only complaint is that I only saw 3 meteors of the Perseid showers while out on the water this evening. 5 or 10 would have been better but not coming in 5th out of 9 in our race made up for that.

And yes, welcome to Bryan. You will find other Lake Erie sailors here.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts