SailNet Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1976 Grampian 26. But....mine doesn't look like the others I see and doesn't meet the same specs that are published. I feel like I'm missing something.

Mine does not have a cut out in the transom for an outboard. Instead my outboard is mounted on the port side of the transom. Mines never had an inboard.

My rudder is also transom mounted. Not the typical built in spade that's underneath.

Finally, I see that there's a model with a 3 foot draft and then one with a centerboard with a deeper drafter. Mine is a fixed keel but more than 3ft.

Any help with identifying which model I have would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmmm, interesting. I'll have to see what the differences in the two are and compare to my boat. I wonder if I find a serial number or something on the boat if I can cross reference it somehow

·
Super Moderator
4,747 Posts
If she was built after 1975 their is a decent chance she might be the 7.9 model.

Also, the boats look different. The Discovery has higher decks, and higher freeboard, which makes her look like a bigger boat. Plus, she has no outboard well and a transom hung rudder and a draft of almost 4 feet.

I think the 7.9 was an updated version of the G26, in the mid 70s Canada was switching from imperial to metric, and 26 feet is 7.9 meters, so I guess that's what they called it.

The only thing that puzzles me is why some one would put wheel steering on a boat that size with a transom hung rudder. It might be an aftermarket thing, I think some folks find wheel steering a little easier on their backs/necks. I had a Grampian 30 where the P.O.had installed an aftermarket pedestal and wheel steering. I kind of liked it on that boat, so maybe you will too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was told that it's a '76 so sounds like it may be a discovery. I wonder if there's any dead give aways? Like, if there's no transom cut out....does that mean for sure that it's a discovery?

The wheel is after market. I found documents saying so much on the boat.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Not sure if you still care about this, but I have both a G26 and the Discovery 7.9 (Selling the G26 later this year)

Your boat is definitely a G26 without the transom cutout for an outboard, but it has been outfitted with a transom rudder and wheel steering and a bunch of other interesting upgrades like improved lifelines (Original only had one lifeline on each side, and they attached to a point very low on the bow pulpit - useless to prevent you from falling overboard if you're on the deck up there).

You've got a vent on the hatch which looks like one installed elsewhere on my Discovery but I am not sure if that is factory original.

Your boat might have originally had an inboard engine replaced by the outboard, or it may have been a factory original with no transom cut out from the start.

The Discovery 7.9 keel is slightly smaller, is not tapered at the aft end but goes almost 90 degrees into the bottom of the hull, the keel is lead not iron (Magnet check!), and the deck shape is totally different - the cabin top feels almost flush with the side decks close to the companionway compared to the big step you need to take on the G26. Discovery 7.9 also came from the factory with an anchor locker and bow roller, something I don't think G26's did. Then again, some D7.9's were apparently built by a company other than Grampian after Grampian went bankrupt, and their deck and interior layouts may be totally different from the original specs. Factory D7.9's had the main cabin window size significantly reduced, and there are 3 smaller "port" windows that can be opened and closed on each side of the deck. The main windows cannot be opened and are much more sturdy than the big Grampian 26 windows.

The D7.9 cabin layout is completely different - they did away with the "liner" inside the boat which makes it significantly roomier inside, even moreso than the original G26. It is enormous inside. The bulkheads are in different places and are staggered. The head is on the starboard side, unlike the G26. The V berth was shortened to make space for the anchor locker and they may have pushed the bow end head bulkhead forward a tad too. The closet and head were both made larger than the original G26. The table has been moved to a more central position on the starboard side, just beside the mast compression post - something new on the D7.9. Two sides of the table fold down so there's just a 10-15 cm wide beam when the table is down, but unfolded it's quite large and abuts the starboard bulkhead. The port bulkhead was moved forward so you can still walk easily to the head or v-berth with the table unfolded.

The D7.9 cockpit has an engine bay with a watertight access hatch (Quite nice) and either another hatch or a manual bilge pump behind it (Not sure yet - need to investigate this). The cockpit itself feels smaller than the G26 I own - there is a locker where the transom cutout is on my G26 - it appears yours has the same locker, but I'm not sure if the cockpit length is the same or not, but the D7.9 certainly feels smaller. The D7.9 cockpit has two drains in the aft end of the cockpit sole that go straight down, vs the G26 which has two drains going through the transom - water loves to come in when you're on a tack or whenever you're stern heavy in the G26. I am not sure I like the new drains yet - I will need to see how they were built inside the boat, but I don't like the idea of thin fiberglass tubes running through the hull - if they ever crack, water will probably start to come in.

The deep "pilot berth" with the legs going into the cockpit on the starboard side of the G26 was removed on the D7.9. I believe they made space for the cockpit "engine room" and additional locker space, and it feels like they may have lengthened the cabin a tad as well. Inside the cabin, the space was replaced with an electrical panel and chart table. The area under the companionway steps is completely different, with the sink and a counter, and battery compartment directly under the steps, and on the port side is a redesigned and quite spacious galley area with a foldout table and not insignificant amount of storage space. You can access the ice chest from the galley area. I think I read that the D7.9 sleeps 4, which seems realistic - there are two normal sized berths in the cabin plus the V berth. The G26 has a "double" berth if you fold the table down, plus the pilot berth, and the V berth.

Finally, on the D7.9 the hull number and other information were fiberglassed directly into the transom, not something I have on my G26.

Overall the D7.9 seems like an amazing improvement on the G26. It is very surprising that they were able to change so much while still utilizing the same hull. It seems like Grampian listened to customer feedback and removed all the points people complained about, but kept the best features. I would feel more comfortable with the D7.9 in rough or offshore conditions than in the G26 - though it's probably not the best boat for offshore sailing. The rigging would still need to be upgraded as well as numerous other things. The cabin is very spacious and as a result it can be difficult to walk safely inside the cabin - there are not a lot of places to brace yourself against while underway, unlike the G26, which while spacious overall, has a very narrow "aisle" with plenty of things to brace your legs and hips against when heeled or bashing into waves.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well, it certainly looks like a G26, not the Discovery 7.9 model.
Ours is a 1975 G26 and it looks like that boat except for the transom-hung rudder and no cut-out for the outboard. It looks like a beautiful boat...been well taken care of.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts