SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always wanted to cruise the world and live on a boat. I've been looking on boattrader.com and I've seen some boats from 5k-13k that to me (an idiot) look OK. Only thing is I remember a friend saying to me that not all boats are safe for the open water. How can I tell. I've been looking at some sloops around 30'-33'. We understand, or at least I do:) that it's going to be small, but we want to spend the first couple of yearsgeting to know what we are doing. I want to take the time to circumnav the globe, but do it in no rush, just us taking our time. I'm currently trying to find a job in the San Francisco area where I can work at a marina. Or even close to one. I may sound wierd but I just can't stand to not pursue my dream anymore. I plan on setting sail by Oct. 1 2010 if I have to nail a sail to a piece of plywood and swim. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks:)

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies

I thank you from the bottom of my heart for making me feel welcome and being able to get, honest and friendly advice. I am currently looking to leave the job I'm at so I can find something at a marina, boatyard or anything that has to do with boats. If I don't find anything by the time I purchase this year then I'll quit and force the powers that be in the world to help me in the direction I'm trying to go. I figure as long as I have a place to sleep, a galley, a head and she floats I'm going to be ok. My date is Oct. 2010 and at that time I'll do a coastal cruise to Mexico, then Florida and then the deep blue. Yes, I am crazy, determined and a bit insane, but my life needs to be on a boat or or I'll forever feel that I'm not living my life. I know the boat I get will be old in everyone's eyes but that'll just make me love her all the more. My wife is behind me %100 and as she has recently become stuck in Malaysia after over 25yrs coming in and out of this country it has given me the perfect time to pursue the dreams of my soul. My plan is to do the repairs on my boat and live the rest of my life learning to repair sails, clean barnacles off the bottom of boats, do repairs, paint or whatever needs to be done. I plan on raising my family on a boat and my wife and I know that this boat is just our starter. We will gain all of our experience with her and like a caring mother I know she will take care of us well. I have faith and desire and I know with all my soul I'm finally heading in the right direction.:)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.