SailNet Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Closet Powerboater
3,925 Posts
EEK! That's scary. The wood flying at the camera looked like it could hurt!

Any idea where that is? Looks an awful lot like a shipyard in my town...

MedSailor

·
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
4,525 Posts
I think from the launch sled. I imagine it is meant to be disposable.

Reactions: groggy

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
I have watched a number of launches on You tube, some like this that look rather dangerous, along with what appears to be a lot of water possibly getting into the ship. Then there is the stern first, slow launch, which appears to be much safer.

I guess "they" know what they are doing? Anybody know why they use the fast beam launch method? Space limitations, or?

Paul T

·
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)
3,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
probably space limitations.

I know they used to build tall ships here in Southern NJ down in Cape May. They all got launched sideways as there was not enough room to launch them lengthwise into the creek.

The Might USS New Jersey was launched stern first from the Philadelphia Ship Yard.. she went right across the Delaware and got stuck in the mud on the Jersey Side.. and the Delaware is over a mile wide there

·
Load Bearing Member
644 Posts
My guess is that the stresses involved in having an 800-1200 foot hull half in and half out of the water would compromise the hull integrity (I'm just guessing).

The sideways launch would be more like launching 100 foot long hull with a really wide beam.

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
...The Might USS New Jersey was launched stern first from the Philadelphia Ship Yard.. she went right across the Delaware and got stuck in the mud on the Jersey Side.. and the Delaware is over a mile wide there...
More like 1/3 of a mile

·
Registered
178 Posts
probably space limitations.

I know they used to build tall ships here in Southern NJ down in Cape May. They all got launched sideways as there was not enough room to launch them lengthwise into the creek.

The Mighty USS New Jersey was launched stern first from the Philadelphia Ship Yard.. she went right across the Delaware and got stuck in the mud on the Jersey Side.. and the Delaware is over a mile wide there

1 - 12 of 12 Posts