SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to tighten bolts where the top of the bolts are unreachable under the mast, then go through the mast support which is in the cabin. I have been able to tighten 3 of them in the cabin by using a vice grip on the bolt that's sticking out under the nut ,then tightened the nut. The problem with the 4th bolt is that the po cut off the bolt even with the nut so there's no part of the bolt to hold on to. I want to cut a notch in the end of the bolt so I can hold it with a screwdiver as I tighten the nut. I haven't had any luck. Have any of you used a dremel cut off saw to cut stainless steel? If so, which one? Do you know the number? Any other ideas?

I'll take care of this correctly in the spring along with repairing any dryrot when I drop the mast but it's leaking now and I've got to tighten it up. The rains are here.

·
Super Moderator
6,760 Posts
For that task..

For that task I would use the #426 fiberglass reinforced cut off wheel. It's thinner than the #409 and lasts longer. When the #409 shatters pieces go flying but with the #426 they do not.

I do have some of the new EZ Lock cut of wheels but they are pricey by comparison.. You will also need a #402 mandrel for the #409 or #426 cut off discs.

I also highly recommend the Dremel flexible wand (or Flex Shaft as they call it) it's all I use!!

Dremel Flex Shaft

#426 Cut Off Wheel

·
blue collar cruiser
370 Posts
For that task I would use the #426 fiberglass reinforced cut off wheel. It's thinner than the #409 and lasts longer. When the #409 shatters pieces go flying but with the #426 they do not.

I do have some of the new EZ Lock cut of wheels but they are pricey by comparison.. You will also need a #402 mandrel for the #409 or #426 cut off discs.

I also highly recommend the Dremel flexible wand (or Flex Shaft as they call it) it's all I use!!

Dremel Flex Shaft

#426 Cut Off Wheel
How do you remember all those product numbers and such? I have to stop and think when someone asks me what year my truck is. :D :D :D

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Catalogs and the internet help with that... :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts