SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
I wonder how many warning signs do you have to totally ignore in order to get into this sort of expensive mess?

·
Chastened
4,861 Posts
Re: Notcie To Mariners: New Reef off Key West

Morons like this guy, are part of what's driving more and more regulation of private boating.

By the end of reading the article, I really wanted to shake this guy.:mad:

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Sounds like another normal day in Key West to me. :D

Reactions: abrahamx

·
Registered
125 Posts
Stephen neglected to mention that the reason that in Cuba old machinery is appreciated is that it is the only machinery available. And old machinery beats the hell out of no machinery at all.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Since we don't have prison work houses for him to repay the cost of this mess, I hope we at least make sure he gets to Cuba.

·
Registered
23,429 Posts
There's often a raft or two washed up on shore that some Cubans brought. I'm sure none of them would mind if he took one back for them. I hope he makes it. Well, I'm not sure I care as much that he makes it as he at least gets into their territorial waters.

Reactions: CaptMikey

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
I think I see a weekly reality show coming out of this.....or maybe a great movie.
There is already a reality show that this may turn up on. The were down in the Marquesas in a show I saw the other day, salvaging two boats Cuban refugees had escaped on and abandoned there.

Reality show follows boat salvors

·
Registered
136 Posts
It's guys like this that are why more and more communities are trying to eliminate liveaboards
I read a second article here about the event.

There is no doubt in my mind that the seller knew they were selling a dangerous boat to a mental patient who didn't have the capacity, financially or mentally, to make the boat safe or useable.

If you knowingly sell a dangerous, mental person a gun... who's responsible when that person hurts someone?

They sold a crazy guy a boat. There certainly has to be a law against that.

·
Bring On The Wind
281 Posts
All I can think of is Strother Martin in Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid saying "Morons, I've got morons on my team"

·
Registered
8,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I read a second article here about the event.

There is no doubt in my mind that the seller knew they were selling a dangerous boat to a mental patient who didn't have the capacity, financially or mentally, to make the boat safe or useable.

If you knowingly sell a dangerous, mental person a gun... who's responsible when that person hurts someone?

They sold a crazy guy a boat. There certainly has to be a law against that.
I think you're right, TJ, the seller and the marina bear some responsibility, in fact, might bear the largest share of the burden of responsibility for the eventual sinking. But this guy has his new-to-him tugboat towed into a marina, and then starts begging. No matter who sold him the boat, his behaviour is what really got him removed from the marina with a quickness.

Besides, who sets the bar on the standard for crazy?

Hell, some would argue that someone with no sailing experience buying a boat in the fall in Chicago, intending to sail south and learning how to sail along the way is pretty damn crazy. .. :)

... and not much different from this guy with no experience buying a boat intending to sail it south to Cuba... except his boat is bigger, in a lot worse condition, and he was starting from someplace warm...

If he was described as a veteran with PTSD, someone would set him up with a facebook page and start a fund to buy him a boat.

·
They call me EB
19 Posts
Gee wiz and I thought I bought a boat in bad shape.

Has anyone seen the original ad? I've been watching the keys craigslist for a long time looking for a new dinghy and never saw this. I probably would have gone to see it just for kicks.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I think you're right, TJ, the seller and the marina bear some responsibility, in fact, might bear the largest share of the burden of responsibility for the eventual sinking. But this guy has his new-to-him tugboat towed into a marina, and then starts begging. No matter who sold him the boat, his behaviour is what really got him removed from the marina with a quickness.

Besides, who sets the bar on the standard for crazy?

Hell, some would argue that someone with no sailing experience buying a boat in the fall in Chicago, intending to sail south and learning how to sail along the way is pretty damn crazy. .. :)

... and not much different from this guy with no experience buying a boat intending to sail it south to Cuba... except his boat is bigger, in a lot worse condition, and he was starting from someplace warm...

If he was described as a veteran with PTSD, someone would set him up with a facebook page and start a fund to buy him a boat.
Yes, I would agree that my mental soundness could be called into question. But my boat runs and isn't 80' long and in a state of perpetual sinking.

That guy didn't even have enough power on the boat to charge a cell phone.

Yeah, poor people begging at a marina isn't generally acceptable. You must look like you have "means" before you start begging. Then it's not begging, it's asking for assistance. :)

And never, I say never, crash a party unless you are rich and/or famous. You have to look the part and try and blend in.

It's all a matter of perspective.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts