SailNet Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Lost at Si!
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am researching replacement Air Cooled Condensers and Box shaped Evaporators to replace my current set up. I have always been very satisfied with all aspects of my current refrigeration set up. It is the original 1984 Grunet but over the past two years it has slowly lost its ability to work well. At first a shot of 134 would do the trick for 6 months but as of late that no longer sees results.
I am looking at the Nova Kool BD50 compressor and the RT6 Freezer box. I would appreciate any thoughts you might have if you have had any experience with this brand. The dealer is local and established and I know this sounds crazy but the cost seems so much lower than every other brand it kind of makes me wonder.
The compressor is a Danforth BD50 Which seems to be standard with all kits.
Any help wold be greatly appreciated.

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,638 Posts
Oh oh! if you gave the old unit "shots" of 134, my guess it was NOT the refrigerant that was in the system and it broke down the mineral oil in the old compressor which became wax and acid, 134 is caustic to old systems that used mineral oils.

The Danfoss BD line are used in so many mfg's it's hard to even begin to guess them all. Even though Danfoss is the workhorse of the 12/24 volt compressors I've personally made a conscious choice to not use them on boat units. Engel, Norcold and a few others use another type of compressor that really works well on 12 volts. It has near zero starting amps. Look up "swing compressor. "

Nova Kool looks pretty typical of all the others like AB.

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,638 Posts
very very possible the shots of 134 have it way over charged now. most of these little machines hold about 5 oz. None that I've researched hold "ponds" of refrigerant. Over charging is one of the most common mistakes made by DIYers and techs not experienced on small equipment.

·
Registered
557 Posts

·
Lost at Si!
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
denise
Will the Engel unit work in a 12 cubic foot box. The current set up is a 12x6x16 vertical box inside the fridge. Whats inside freezes, outside stays plenty cold. ( of course not any more). Would I have to sepreate the box with some type of spill over set up. The Engel site said it will freeze up to 50 quart and cool up to 100. How does that translate to my application. 32"x24"x24" box dimensions? Thanks again

·
islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
denise
Will the Engel unit work in a 12 cubic foot box. The current set up is a 12x6x16 vertical box inside the fridge. Whats inside freezes, outside stays plenty cold. ( of course not any more). Would I have to sepreate the box with some type of spill over set up. The Engel site said it will freeze up to 50 quart and cool up to 100. How does that translate to my application. 32"x24"x24" box dimensions? Thanks again
Measurements are confusing me the 12x16x6 is 1152 cubic inches and a cubic foot is 1728 cubic inches the other measurement you listed is just under 11 cubic feet one cubic foot is about 25 qts dry Cubic Feet To Quarts - How many quarts in a cubic foot? hope this helps

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,638 Posts
300 + quarts in 12 cu ft box? someone else please, do the math!

To go with 2 evaporators and separate temp controls with one compressor is possible with built up units but I don't see a need get that techie and spill over works very well.

But, if you use 2 units you have redundancy and the ability to run one the other or both. but at the cost X 2 to buy them.

I'd go with one. see how it works. then add the 2nd if the budget allows. But you knew a big box could need more.

Alder Barber has larger units. Danfoss compressors but still great stuff

·
Lost at Si!
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
new haul
Sorry. The first numbers were the size of the evaporator (box) which is inside the box of the second set of numbers. I didn't mean to confuse anybody about math or insulation or converting cubic inches to cubic feet and then quantifying e = mc square, I was just wondering if anybody had owned or new someone who had owned a Nova Kool brand unit and whether they liked it or not. Things kind of get off to other things sometimes I guess, but thanks for your input.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts