SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

One of None
Hunter 34
Reaction score
Oh oh! if you gave the old unit "shots" of 134, my guess it was NOT the refrigerant that was in the system and it broke down the mineral oil in the old compressor which became wax and acid, 134 is caustic to old systems that used mineral oils.

The Danfoss BD line are used in so many mfg's it's hard to even begin to guess them all. Even though Danfoss is the workhorse of the 12/24 volt compressors I've personally made a conscious choice to not use them on boat units. Engel, Norcold and a few others use another type of compressor that really works well on 12 volts. It has near zero starting amps. Look up "swing compressor. "

Nova Kool looks pretty typical of all the others like AB.

One of None
Hunter 34
Reaction score
very very possible the shots of 134 have it way over charged now. most of these little machines hold about 5 oz. None that I've researched hold "ponds" of refrigerant. Over charging is one of the most common mistakes made by DIYers and techs not experienced on small equipment.

One of None
Hunter 34
Reaction score
300 + quarts in 12 cu ft box? someone else please, do the math!

To go with 2 evaporators and separate temp controls with one compressor is possible with built up units but I don't see a need get that techie and spill over works very well.

But, if you use 2 units you have redundancy and the ability to run one the other or both. but at the cost X 2 to buy them.

I'd go with one. see how it works. then add the 2nd if the budget allows. But you knew a big box could need more.

Alder Barber has larger units. Danfoss compressors but still great stuff

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.