SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I've done a bunch of reading about how to compound/wax gelcoat/fiberglass... and I have a very basic novice question. It really seems like a "duh" kind of question but I have no expirience with this stuff. Here goes...

Can you compound/wax without using a buffer/random orbit sander? Most of the topsides of my boat are non-skid (which I cleaned up yesterday with some help from some other threads). I do have some parts of the cabin and deck though, that are not non-skid that look to have some oxidation and could need a good cleaning/sanding/waxing. I don't own a buffer and really don't want to spend the money on one since the amount of gelcoat is really small (the hull is in good shape so it's just the small areas on the topsides). Most all of the threads talk about compounding, but they talk about applying it with a buffer/sander. Do you need the high speed, or can you get by with a LOT of elbow grease?

I'm sure this is remedial at best for most people but I'd appreciate any help or suggestions about techniques and tools!

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
Do a search here for MaineSail's post on compounding and waxing. He knows more about this than anyone here.

IMHO, you can get away with doing the compounding by hand since you are only talking about a small area. But when the time comes to do the hull, you are going to wish you had one.

·
"Sparkie"
343 Posts
I second what Jim said. If you cannot find Mainsails post pm me and I will send you a copy. I saved it as a word doc. That is how good it is. Good luck!!
DD

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys

Jim I'm assuming your talking about this thread.

I figured I could get away without one (I agree I'll want one when I do the hull, but for now I think it can wait), but wasn't sure if it was required to get the compound to clean up the gelcoat...

Thanks for your quick answers!

·
Arf!
609 Posts
Thanks guys

Jim I'm assuming your talking about this thread.

I figured I could get away without one (I agree I'll want one when I do the hull, but for now I think it can wait), but wasn't sure if it was required to get the compound to clean up the gelcoat...
That is the right thread.. and ... when you get around to doing this for real, be sure to follow Maine Sail's advice and get a speed controlled (Makita or similar) buffer/polisher.
I found one on ebay for $150. The [email protected] you can get in PepBoys or WM for $30 is a complete waste of money.

·
Grasshopper
908 Posts
Maine's thread on that topic was so complete to me, that I had to print it out!...it's my bible for doing that kind of work now!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts