SailNet Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an original Cal 30 - the first series with the full keel and, while I know it was built in 1965, have never known the hull number.

Apparently there were only 123 buIlt (according to Sailboat Data) between 1961 and 1967.

There are no numbers in the glass transom of this boat, but I do have what is shown in the photo cut into the v-berth area with a router.

It says NO50663 and on another line, NET 7.

Does anyone know if these numbers mean something? It appears they may have something to do with the boat as it was manufactured.

·
Don't call me a "senior"!
968 Posts
Looks like the official number of a documented vessel (assigned by the USCG).
see:http://www.uscg.mil/nvdc/nvdcfaq.asp

But I always thought that they were supposed to be in a visible location, not hidden by V-berth cushions.

Reactions: eherlihy

·
Registered
112 Posts
Obviously a previously documented vessel. Go online to the Coast Guard Documentation Center and look up her provenance. (Hopefully you won't find her title amiss or she is stolen). I would file for reinstatement as it gives you a clear title without question to her ownership. (And eliminates the nasty requirement for posting the ugly state registration numbers on her hull. (Still have to pay yr local DMV however).

As for where the owner inscribed the documentation numbers, he wasn't far out. Read the regs and it says on the main beam over the forward hold or some such. Ancient requirement hard to follow on a modern vessel and I think the Coasties have upgraded it since this boat was launched. Right up there with the requirement to set a barrel of tar afire in the foredeck as a mayday signal.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Here ya go:

Data found in historical database no longer in Documentation.
Vessel Name: SKEETER USCG Doc. No.: 506634
Vessel Service: RECREATIONAL IMO Number: *
Trade Indicator: * Call Sign: *
Hull Material: * Hull Number: *
Ship Builder: * Year Built: *

Length (ft.): 30
Hailing Port: Hull Depth (ft.): *
Owner: Hull Breadth (ft.): *
Gross Tonnage: 12
Net Tonnage: 10
Documentation Issuance Date: * Documentation Expiration Date: *
Previous Vessel Names: No Vessel Name Changes Previous Vessel Owners:
HALLORAN JOHN F
Vessel Documentation Query

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here ya go:

Data found in historical database no longer in Documentation.
Vessel Name: SKEETER USCG Doc. No.: 506634
Is there somewhere to search the database of expired registrations? Your search was on 506634 and my number is 50663.

When I do the search for NO50663 it comes back with nothing as I'm sure that this expired many years ago. It would sure be interesting to find some historical database that had information that would make re-registration a bit easier.

From reviewing the available information, though, I'd say there is little doubt that this was a documentation number.

Murph

S/V Amalia
1965 Cal 30
Muskegon, MI

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Looks like the official number of a documented vessel (assigned by the USCG).
see:USCG National Vessel Documentation Center, Fee Page

But I always thought that they were supposed to be in a visible location, not hidden by V-berth cushions.
While the number is hidden from casual viewing, it is readily accessible and that is all that matters. Most boats do have them hidden away in similar fashion.
My current sailboat has it mounted on the inside of the hull in the cavity underneath the V berth which is harder to access then the OP's. My 2 previous powerboats had the number in the engine room.

To the OP, any chance there is another number that is hidden from view by that hatch?

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
That depends on where you are. Miz'sippi doesn't require anything if the boat is federally documented.
True, not all states require documented boats to be state registered. VA doesn't either.
But, even if the state requires documented boats to be state registered , they Are Not allowed to have state numbers on the bow. That's CG regulations. A state sticker, yes, but numbers, no.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Is there somewhere to search the database of expired registrations? Your search was on 506634 and my number is 50663.

When I do the search for NO50663 it comes back with nothing as I'm sure that this expired many years ago. It would sure be interesting to find some historical database that had information that would make re-registration a bit easier.

From reviewing the available information, though, I'd say there is little doubt that this was a documentation number.

Murph

S/V Amalia
1965 Cal 30
Muskegon, MI
A five digit number is invalid, so I just kept adding numbers till I hit. From the entry it looks pretty close to the description of your boat. I stopped at '4' but I suppose if the dealer documented several at the same time you might come up with another hit. I assumed the 6th digit was masked by the hatch cover in the photo. If not I wonder what is going on? Expired documentation is not on the Coasties Website, but another in an effort to confuse the customer.....like NOAA. You can call the documentation center at the CG and the nice ladies will try to help. Remember your Congressman has truly stiffed them and they are under siege big time, be nice, be polite, understand the backlog they are dealing with.
Just sayin....

Start searching here: Office of Science and Technology

·
islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
I have an original Cal 30 - the first series with the full keel and, while I know it was built in 1965, have never known the hull number.

Apparently there were only 123 buIlt (according to Sailboat Data) between 1961 and 1967.

There are no numbers in the glass transom of this boat, but I do have what is shown in the photo cut into the v-berth area with a router.

It says NO50663 and on another line, NET 7.

Does anyone know if these numbers mean something? It appears they may have something to do with the boat as it was manufactured.

Murph you may be right in your original assessment of the numbers on the Amelia made in June 1965 and be hull number 63 a kind of serial number assigned by manufacturer or may have been done by a po to make researching the boat easier or may have done it to make you say wtf
:laugher:laugher

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cal/97284-decoding-hull-number-cal-30-1965-a.html

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Murph you may be right in your original assessment of the numbers on the Amelia made in June 1965 and be hull number 63 a kind of serial number assigned by manufacturer or may have been done by a po to make researching the boat easier or may have done it to make you say wtf
:laugher:laugher

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cal/97284-decoding-hull-number-cal-30-1965-a.html
Yeah, it definitely makes a case for wtf! That previous post I did a couple of years ago was answered by someone who pointed out that HIN's weren;t used until 1971. But, since the documentation number 50664 looks doubtful except for the length (no evidence the boat was ever called anything but "Chimera" and nothing in that list matches...

...it looks like I either don't know or will go with the June 1965 Hull 63.

Anyone else have these routered numbers on their Cal in this location?

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I'm willing to bet money that is a CG number as it fits their format with NO in front of the numbers. Maybe back then, they used one less digit than they do these days.

It's also possible that the documentation on that boat expired many years ago and was never renewed.

·
islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
I'm willing to bet money that is a CG number as it fits their format with NO in front of the numbers. Maybe back then, they used one less digit than they do these days.

It's also possible that the documentation on that boat expired many years ago and was never renewed.
Nope our Spencer had been documented since built in 67 and it has the 6 digit number of USCG documentation and I have in the past found vessels in the document list that have not been renued for as many as 20 years but still in the list.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
OK, back to the OP...is it possible there is another digit hidden by that hatch?

Whoever etched those numbers took their time to do a decent job. The NET 7 isn't centered under the number, but if you add one more digit, the NET 7 is centered.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Nope our Spencer had been documented since built in 67 and it has the 6 digit number of USCG documentation and I have in the past found vessels in the document list that have not been renued for as many as 20 years but still in the list.
I looked at the CG website and punched in all numbers from 0 to 9. 4 came up with hits but 6 were invalid. I'm guessing those 6 numbers were assigned at one point but expired years ago and are no longer accessible on the website. Maybe one of those 6 digits was the last digit of the OP's number that we can't see in the photo.

·
Old enough to know better
4,342 Posts
OK, back to the OP...is it possible there is another digit hidden by that hatch?

Whoever etched those numbers took their time to do a decent job. The NET 7 isn't centered under the number, but if you add one more digit, the NET 7 is centered.
Or perhaps he just ran out of room. That is what I though and that the 7 might be the last number, but that belongs to a barge from the 1990's. Perhaps it got reused? But it does seem to almost fit both hull id and CG documentation, but not quite on either. The NO and Net seem to fit CG.

·
islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
Another possibility is it was a state issued id for state registration California has that in their laws I would assume hat the part homemade vessels may also apply to per hin factory constructed years What About the Hull Identification Number?

A hull identification number (HIN) must be displayed on all vessels registered in California. The HIN must be:

Permanently affixed to the vessel in such a way that its alteration, removal, or replacement would be obvious.
Assigned and affixed by manufacturers to commercially built vessels.
Assigned by the DMV to homemade vessels.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts