SailNet Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received a gift that I absolutely love. It is a quart jar packed solid with assorted nuts and then filled to the brim with honey, I know honey is a preservative but does anyone know how long things might last with refrigeration? Without refrigeration? It is abfab on cereal, ice cream, cake, etc. Expensive to make but worth it?

·
KNOT KNOWN
1,320 Posts
Forever, I've never had refrigeration and I travel far away from civilization for extended periods of time. I pickle, olive oil and honey things a lot. I stay away from town a lot longer than anything would last in a frige. Read Sailing the Farm for preservation methods.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Nuts if properly dried last a looong time. Honey also lasts for years. Excellent idea, I'll have to try it.

·
Senior Slacker
4,223 Posts
The honey may crystallize over time, but it shouldn't go bad. It will probably also keep the nuts, or more specifically the oil in the nuts, from going rancid for a very long time; probably much longer than the mixture would avoid being eaten ;).

·
Courtney the Dancer
3,971 Posts
Bacteria can't grow in honey so this sounds like a great idea. I was a commercial beekeeper and thought I'd heard everything honey related, but this is a new one I'll have to try.

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
Forever, I've never had refrigeration and I travel far away from civilization for extended periods of time. I pickle, olive oil and honey things a lot. I stay away from town a lot longer than anything would last in a frige. Read Sailing the Farm for preservation methods.
Can we convince you to do a post about this, Aaron ? I am especially interested in pickling with vinegar for food preservation on the boat, I'd like to add that to dehydrating and pressure canning. I really like pickled beet eggs but have been shy about making them because the extension folks say they aren't safe.

·
Load Bearing Member
644 Posts
I using my boat to slowly pickle myself.

Then I can sail forever. :D

·
Registered
377 Posts
Any chance you'd be willing to do a bit of a write up about it? I would love to learn more. Trial and error strikes me as a risky way to learn.:eek:
I've read Sailing the Farm, some of it was good, a lot seemed a bit risky to me. (less the food provision, and more some of the other behaviors). But even having seeds etc onboard could be frowned at today, I know I had trouble with dried nuts at borders etc on land.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts