SailNet Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our Spinnaker isn't sailing as well with the new hole we put in it. Turns out it sailed better before we had the hole.

Quantum (manufacturer), doesn't have a loft nearby. Can anyone recommend one in the area, or am I better off shipping it to Quantum?

ok I got this now, paper beats rock, scissors beat paper, and metal beats sails.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Hey,

I have used the UK loft on City Island. They have provided me with excellent service.

Doyle has a loft in Huntington (Long Island). The sailmaker there is known for also providing excellent service.

Good luck,
Barry

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
SoOkay, are you in south jersey or north? As the guys said, there are plenty of lofts on LI that you can reach by car or PATH to LIRR train. Or UPS, and UPS ground usually is overnight service within 200 miles. If you're in south jersey you might want to look the other way though.

I'd expect any brand-name loft can repair a hole in a chute, unless you did a really GOOD hole in the chute.

But unless it is fairly new, strong, or little used? Most of the dyes used in sailcloths attack the fibers, red being one of the worst for that. And once they make the fabric brittle...patching can be futile.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Everyone, thanks for the feedback!

hellosailor: I'm smack in the middle of NJ

Hadn't seen there was a quantum loft in NY. Will track that down as a first option
else it'll be off to city island
Thanks again!

·
Registered
61 Posts
hi - anyone have a good recommendation for the best/cheapest/easiest-to-get-to loft in nyc area? i have a torn genoa off a 25' boat. will be taking mass transit from brooklyn - so brooklyn or manhattan or somewhere on the LIRR would work for me.

·
Schooner Captain
2,199 Posts
hi - anyone have a good recommendation for the best/cheapest/easiest-to-get-to loft in nyc area? i have a torn genoa off a 25' boat. will be taking mass transit from brooklyn - so brooklyn or manhattan or somewhere on the LIRR would work for me.
See my post above, you can take rail there.

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
Offhand no, but I would suggest you consider that if you ship via UPS Ground (and you should be able to get a 15-20% discount off the rack rate by looking around) the "overnight" range for plain UPS shipping, where the cheapest service is delivered overnight anyhow, ranges from about Annapolis to Ohio to Boston.

Not as cheap as the subway (4 trips in total plus 4 hours of your time?) but if you get a recommendation to a good loft at a good price...something to consider.

Maybe the guys at Defender or Post Marine can suggest someone.

·
Registered
621 Posts
By far, best for the money, inexpensive and good...call Snow on City Island
7one8 88five 0one37. Her day job is working for premiere national sailmaker on City Is.
making, repairing all kinds of sails.
Take # 6 train to Pelham Bay Park, transfer to #29 bus to City Island, get off by
City Is. diner, walk 2 blocks. Less than 1 hr from midtown.
Did I mention she is good and inexpensive.

·
Registered
61 Posts
She was able to replace the UV cover on my genoa (25' boat) for $200 and it seems to have been done well. Unfortunately it took 3 weeks longer than originally discussed. Nice lady, she has a lot of extra work.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts