SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
From November this year until 2024 New York's 79th Street Boat basin will be shut for reconstruction. Construction doesn't even begin till 2023!

This is utterly devestating for me. My next 3 years plans have included 79th Sts $26 per night moorings. Boats under 40ft and monos. 41ft and its $150 per night.
It's given me a great ability to spend long periods in this great city and is an influence to keeping my boat instead of upgrading.

I can surly bet when 79th St reopens all prices will be that $150/day level. No cheap moorings.

I can't believe how this totally stuffs up my plans. I was really looking forward to showing Marjorie New York in a slow and relaxed manner. To say I'm devastated is an understatement. 馃槶馃槶馃槶馃槶馃槶馃槶馃槶

Mark

• Angry
Reactions: MastUndSchotbruch

Registered
That stinks.

Those that got pretty used to living aboard there, all but permanently, are getting the real kick in the pants. I hope the entire management gets fired too and the slips start having rules that everyone gets to play by. It was a real insiders game. Although, I鈥檝e lost touch and things may have changed.

Where there is a will, there is a way. While not as good as stepping off on 79th St, there is significant mass transit surrounding NYC. If coming for months, even $26/day adds up. You might find a slip outside NYC that isn鈥檛 much much more. Of course, add in mass transit costs, I get it.

Another thought is to do a combo of anchoring and grabbing moorings. Find moorings in the $40-$80/day is easy. Water it down on average with some anchoring. Have you been out to Newport? Countless options, you wouldn鈥檛 run out of things to do and see. But way too far, if NYC is the primary goal. That said, Amtrak takes us straight to Penn Station, whne I need to go to NYC. I鈥檝e done it many times. Not a day trip from here, like so many closely surrounding NYC.

Reactions: MarkofSeaLife

Registered
I was just visiting with my old boss and discussing a somewhat larger NYC Transit job I worked on prior to retirement. The project is a mess with NY doing some very 鈥渋nteresting鈥 stuff, surly unethical if not illegal. The project had been in planning for many years but the NYCT basic bid configuration did not survive first contact, they could not provide the sites we were told to use, no alternatives provided. The project is over budge and way behind schedule.

This is a very common tale. I have seen similar on other projects; for example multiple PM鈥檚, each with a new set of requirements. . Most contractors will not work in NYC.

I dont know the department running your project and am not making predictions. I am recommending you discount any time estimates. It may work out as planned, or it may never get done.

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Those two articles contain references to the terrible dilapidated condition - is it really that bad?
Oh, yeah. It's really that bad. Far beyond remedial and a full rebuild is the perfect solution. It just hammers me.

Mark

Registered
I lived in Hell's Kitchen for 15 years....NYC is NOT even close to being the city it once was. I still have business there once a month or so and I hate it. I can't wait to be divorced from it forever. You got lucky.

Captain Obvious
I hope you aren't actually that upset about a marina being renovated, even though it was the perfect spot. Damn that does suck. A new solution may develop. Maybe in Brooklyn, or further up the Hudson. But just keep checking in on the situation.

In a way, I know how you feel. My old wonderful eccentric dilapidated marina where I kept my boat for six years sold in 2019 and became an upscale club.

Registered
I lived a few blocks away 25 years or so ago, and while I got on the waiting list for a slip, the place was a bit of a dump even then. No turnover because of the liveaboards and, at that time, no moorings, either seasonal or transient. Unfortunate that the City can't keep it open in stages, but it would be good to make it an actual working marina.

Registered
For sure the City can offer moorings... and a small dock for dinks to land at a reasonable price at the 79th Street location... In fact they could do a similar set up at several locations along the west side North of the cruise ship piers.
There are some other marinas in the city,,, 23rd street and one in Brooklyn Heights. I think Long Island City in Queens is a possibility as well. But I think the only mooring location was north of 79th street. I WAS a convenient location. You can find a mooring, anchor or get a slip in City Island... but it is not as convenient as 79th street.
Have a look at at the coast line on Google earth and you'll see possibilties.

Registered
I had mentioned The Atlantic Highlands with Seastreak fast ferry within walking distance and a nice town and beaches nearby.

There is a YC , Miramar , Over in Sheepshead Bay. Haven't been there myself, but maybe others who have can rate it. easy access to the Ocean, Bays and the Hudson.

Registered
I lived in Hell's Kitchen for 15 years....NYC is NOT even close to being the city it once was. I still have business there once a month or so and I hate it. I can't wait to be divorced from it forever. You got lucky.
I lived in NYC back in the mid-late 80's, and in many ways, I think it's a lot better than it was then. I still love to visit (both my kids live in Brooklyn, and my wife is from there), but I don't want to live there; it takes an enormous amount of money to have a really good quality of life in Manhattan.

Times Square is a case in point: Going there now is like a Disney-esque, touristy hell, and I would fondly recall the genteel sqaulor of the old Times Square of my mid-20,s. Until I saw that HBO show "The Deuce", which was set in Times Square in that late 70's, early 80's time period. Seeing the recreation of that place in that time reminded me of how bad it really was. I mean, dirty and dangerous. The rose colored glasses fell off and shattered. So now whenever I think "boy, NY now isn't as good as it was then", I stop and try to put everything into perspective.

Registered
After 8 years of DeBlasio, NYC is reverting back to the days of your youth. Guilianni and Bloomberg had it cleaned up nicely.

Registered
79th St is rolly, with massive current. Screw 鈥榚m.

I repeat. Where there is a will, there is a way. If a mooring is essential, it鈥檚 a very short train ride into Western LIS where I鈥檓 sure there are options. There is so much to see from NYC to Maine, this little setback is a non-event.

Registered
visited back in the 70's a friend had a hippie girlfriend with a boat there. was a dump then. it is a safety hazard. the city is closing it because of the condition of the seawall and plans to rebuild will not start for a couple of years if they even do. they have some of the money but by the time they decide to start that money will not be enough.

Registered
plans to rebuild will not start for a couple of years if they even do.
Fair point. It鈥檚 been so bad for so long, one has to think the funding has been controversial. It wouldn鈥檛 surprise any of us to hear the city redirected millions of dollars of construction to something that serviced more than 100 slips and a handful of moorings.

On the bright side, for better or worse, they鈥檝e been trying to move the long term live aboards out for years. Many had lived there for decades. This may be the victory they鈥榲e been looking for and will now spend money on the place, once they鈥檝e pulled it off.

Dirt Free
Sorry to hear that Mark but our way of life is dying.
It appears we're to be the last of the breed.

Registered
Sorry to hear that Mark but our way of life is dying.
Not sure exactly what you're referring to as your way of life, but I'm seeing a massive explosion of summer live aboards around here. I'm certain, if the mercury didn't drop so much, it would continue year round. I know it would for me.

Reactions: SanderO
1 - 20 of 22 Posts