SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all,
I recently decided to set down the path to potentially owning and living aboard a sailboat here in NY.

About me:
I grew up in the Great Lakes and spent a great deal of time on the water. My father was a power boated and we spent many a night in the small cabin. I learned sailing at a scout camp and was instantly enamored with it. (I ended up teaching it later while working at the camp.) Later, I got to sail on a few larger yachts off of buffalo in high school.
Flash forward to today: I've been lucky enough to sail intermittently through college and my working life on Lake Ontario, in the English Channel, New York/ New Jersey and the LI sound on bigger cruising yachts.

My plan until recently was to befriend folks with boats and crew whenever possible. this was all while scrimping and saving so some day I could afford something to suit my needs. I thought maybe I could charter boats in the meantime. I obtained a few ASA endorsements towards that end but havent persued it yet. This delayed gratification became unacceptable and now my goal is to do some prep over the next several months, procure a vessel early next year. Test out the lifestyle until July and then move aboard if all goes alright.

Anyway, Just saying, "Hi". Feel free to reach out if you are sailing in the area and need a hand. I'll probably post up in the live aboard threads with more detail.

·
Registered
8,473 Posts
It's cool, Doug. i imported my wife from Long island, so we have balanced the scales by sending you down there. If you want to understand how different upstaters are from downstaters, ask a guy from Lawn Guyland to say "North Tonawanda." it's comedy gold.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts