SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· no longer reading SailNet
2,309 Posts
Reaction score
What are these cleats being used for? For halyards the horn cleat works nicely because it also gives you something to hang the tail of the halyard from. My jib and spin halyards terminate at the mast (instead of the cockpit). I used clutches (a lot nicer than cam cleats) to handle the load, but they don't make it easy to organize loose tails of line.

In general I avoid stuff made by Sea-Dog line unless there is nothing else available. They always seem to be the lowest quality and budget items available.

· no longer reading SailNet
2,309 Posts
Reaction score
That is a Lewmar clutch, they are usually highly regarded. I am curious about how that one failed. I use and like them because they release well under load.

Dave_E: Fisheries Supply in Seattle has a huge range of cleats to choose from. They have pretty much every product mentioned in this thread in stock.

Greg: I use those same Ronstan hooks in the cockpit of my boat for managing lines. I hadn't considered hanging two on the mast for jib and spin halyards, but it's a pretty good idea. A halyard bag mounted at the base of the mast would also do the trick.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.