SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. Need help identifying an engine on a 1983 O’Day 34. I recently bought an O’Day and the previous owner says the engine is an Universal M25XP. The problem is that the M25XP was made in 86. I think this engine is the M30 24hp. The M25 is a 21hp. There may not be much differences on either but I’m tryi bro order a few parts and would like to know. Would anyone be able to help or provide sources I. How I can obtain the info?
P.S. the engine overheats at 1800 rpm. I hear it’s a coming issue unless upgrading the heat exchanger. I also hear that the exhaust mixer elbow could be clogged.
I appreciate any help and experiences

thanks

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hi everyone. Need help identifying an engine on a 1983 O’Day 34. I recently bought an O’Day and the previous owner says the engine is an Universal M25XP. The problem is that the M25XP was made in 86. I think this engine is the M30 24hp. The M25 is a 21hp. There may not be much differences on either but I’m tryi bro order a few parts and would like to know. Would anyone be able to help or provide sources I. How I can obtain the info?
P.S. the engine overheats at 1800 rpm. I hear it’s a coming issue unless upgrading the heat exchanger. I also hear that the exhaust mixer elbow could be clogged.
I appreciate any help and experiences

thanks
Have pics? S/N?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,366 Posts
Barry's picture above is of an M25 with the OLD STYLE alternator bracket! There is also an engine driven compressor pictured.

An O'day 34 probably has either a Universal 5421 or a Universal M25 installed when new, but could have been repowered with virtually anything. I would not be able to guess which one you have without more info. Post a picture of the engine, and someone here can probably help you ID it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Barry's picture above is of an M25 with the OLD STYLE alternator bracket! There is also an engine driven compressor pictured.

An O'day 34 probably has either a Universal 5421 or a Universal M25 installed when new, but could have been repowered with virtually anything. I would not be able to guess which one you have without more info. Post a picture of the engine, and someone here can probably help you ID it.
I appreciate your reply. I will get more pictures and post. Whomever owned it at some point painted with thick black paint.
Thanks for the info. The engine looks like the picture above. Because the boat was built in 83 I didn’t think it used the M25.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I appreciate your reply. I will get more pictures and post. Whomever owned it at some point painted with thick black paint.
Thanks for the info. The engine looks like the picture above. Because the boat was built in 83 I didn’t think it used the M25.
Maybe high-temp paint?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts