SailNet Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Might anyone known where to find replacement hinges for the forward hatch of an 1983 O'Day 28? I have looked online for several hours trying to find 3/12" long butt hinges to fit the same footprint but can only find 3" or 4" hinges. Tried DR. No luck.

·
One of None
8,045 Posts

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,193 Posts
What brand of hatch? Lewmar or Bowmar or other?

I would contact Tony at Select Plastics - 877-874-3767 or [email protected] - to get advice, and possibly new hinges.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
fwiw, I've been looking for an exact replacement for a hatch hinge on my Oday 23. No luck. The advice I"ve gotten from at least two sources is to stop trying. The suggestion has been to fill in the existing holes, find something that looks like the other hinge, then redrill new holes for the new hinge.

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,193 Posts
Oh, the fiberglass hatches...

Perko and Sea Dog are possibly the brand that they used. I found the Gem plastic catches an exact match for the table and locker latches on my O'day 35;

·
Registered
7 Posts
It is a stock fiberglass molded hatch with 3 3/4 inch long SS hinges. I have looked everywhere and cannot find a match. The hinges are ok mechanically but the chrome is worn off so their just ugly. The same exact hinges are on the anchor locker also. Thought about rechromming but the pins are welded so can't be removed and can't chrome if not seperate do. Only option I see now is epoxy holes and red rill which I don't want to do. Every notice that the smallest of jobs on a sailboat turn into a major battle?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Might anyone known where to find replacement hinges for the forward hatch of an 1983 O'Day 28? I have looked online for several hours trying to find 3/12" long butt hinges to fit the same footprint but can only find 3" or 4" hinges. Tried DR. No luck.
Have you had any luck? I have the same problem.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Does anyone have a photo of the hinges that they could post? I had an O'Day 39 and have 2 maybe 4 hinges for the 39's cockpit lockers. I have extras left over because they were hard to find and I bought more than I needed at the time. They might be what you need?????
lho

·
Registered
1 Posts
I own an 84 and have the same problem. That has to be the most poorly designed hatch I've ever encountered. My solution was to pull it out and replace the whole thing. Lewmar makes a hatch that drops right in the hole without having to cut. If you call the parts department at Catalina yachts here in Largo and ask for Chris (make sure to tell him that Chris sent you) he'll give you a great deal on one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts