Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ocean-crossing-robotic-sailboat team does a first study on IR imaging:

UBCSailbot Blog

·
Registered
6,689 Posts
First and foremost, you wonder if this type of system could be mass produced in sufficient quantities to make it cost effective? If would have to be less expensive than the latest 3G/4G radar systems, which range $1,100 to $1,300, which is the going rate for Lowrance systems. And, could this IR system provide similar features, such as target range, speed, tracking, alarms, etc...?

Gary :cool:

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First and foremost, you wonder if this type of system could be mass produced in sufficient quantities to make it cost effective? If would have to be less expensive than the latest 3G/4G radar systems, which range $1,100 to $1,300, which is the going rate for Lowrance systems. And, could this IR system provide similar features, such as target range, speed, tracking, alarms, etc...?

Gary :cool:
I found it interesting to have an evaluation by someone *not* trying to sell a product. They're under severe size, mass & power constraints, so anything you got for your boat would do better than what these folk found, so this sets the low mark for what you could expect.

InfraRed does stuff radar doesn't; they're not competing systems, they're complementary -- "cost-effective" is in the eye of the beholder. :)

IR Camera Prices

Marine Systems | FLIR Systems

#include [ std-disclaimer ]

·
Courtney the Dancer
3,971 Posts
These are becoming pretty popular here in the PNW on power/work boats. The ability to "see" other boats, logs, etc at night or in the fog is nothing short of amazing. The one that I'm personally familiar with is a fixed mount and tied into a Furuno Navnet system on a recreational fishing boat. It draws between 2-4 amps @ 12VDC, not including the Navnet MFD so that is a consideration for an ocean going sailboat. The price of them gets pretty steep once you move up from the entry level units, $15K for the one I have used not including installation.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.