SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently studying Computer Engineering, where I am completing a final year project on the optimisation of routes for sailing yachts. I have hit a bit of a bump in the road, and was hoping that someone here could help. I am looking for a polar plot of a yacht, giving optimal speeds at different wind speeds and angles. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
John.

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
Some are strictly generated by velocity prediction programs (for example, the Cat 34 plot shows the chute up in a 20knot breeze on a beam reach--that would be rather nuts, asking to break gear. MT boat in perfect trim, pushed to the limit on smooth water. A fun starting point for racers. Generally, they seem optimistic. This one has more supporting data.
http://www.pdq36.com/PDQ36 polar diagram.pdf

Others built upon expereince with real boats.
Sail Delmarva: Speed Polars

Enjoy!

·
Sailboat Reboot
652 Posts
I am currently studying Computer Engineering, where I am completing a final year project on the optimisation of routes for sailing yachts. I have hit a bit of a bump in the road, and was hoping that someone here could help. I am looking for a polar plot of a yacht, giving optimal speeds at different wind speeds and angles. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
John.
I for one am very interested in what you are building. Route planning for long cruises is computationally very difficult since taking the fastest next track may be sub-optimal in the long run. (A trip in light winds might position you for later more optimal winds. An example is leaving the Azores - you first head North to get out of the Azores high so you are in fact usually adding miles to your passage to get to favorable winds.) Add to that that other than using the Atlas of Pilot Charts to estimate winds you run out of forecasts long before you run out of transit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks so much for the level of response. Things are going well with the project, and may have caused love for a new sport that I otherwise was never really involved with.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts