SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Reaction score
Buy Your O'Day 27'

Bought a '79 27' O'Day in July 2007. Absolutely love the boat, as does my wife and my 40-year old sailing son. Big step up from my former O'Day 23'. Sails like a dream--very quick. Nice accommodations for a weekend cruising couple. Yanmar crapped the bed on haul-out day 07, so I repowered with a new, larger (13 HP) 2-lung Yanmar. Runs like a top. Sustained some damange on haul-out day 08 (I'm not going to haul it out next year) and am in process of a complete hull and keel rebuilding--turns out upon scraping and sanding that the boat was extensively damaged somewhere in the last 30 years and not repaired correctly. Yes, despite this information I still love the boat--but I would suggest more than 1 surveyer look your boat over. Our surveryor missed some pretty significant (though well hidden) repair work. For next season I will have a "Brand-new '79 O'Day" with a 1-season new engine. I'm a happy guy. Great family boat, based on informal harbor runs I think it would race well. Very stable and forgiving. Did I say I love the boat?

· Registered
5 Posts
Reaction score
To The O'Day Tack:

if the zinks are not placed properly this strut can be affected by electrolysis and break as it is less the a half inch wide. it is expensive to fix (Speaking from experience
Please describe how the zinks should be properly placed. Is there some science to this?

· Registered
5 Posts
Reaction score
Tell Me About Those Zinks

I have a O'day 27 1977. We like it very much. I recommend pulling it out and checking the Strut that holds the drive shaft in place. if the zinks are not placed properly this strut can be affected by electrolysis and break as it is less the a half inch wide. it is expensive to fix (Speaking from experience ;)
Is there some science to placing the zinks on the shaft? And are more than 1 zink recommended and, if so, why?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.